FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
can't save
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: can't save Reply with quote

I just updated to 1.5c (finally) and now I can't save. Basically, It says that the game has been saved, but the load tab is still darkened, and when I checked my save folder, it was empty. So, I'm guessing it's a save problem, and not a load problem. I made sure I had the right patch (the full cd one, specifically), and I've already uninstalled/reinstalled/reapplied patch. I'm running windows 98 se on a 500mhz pentium3 if that helps any. I'd appreciate if you guys(dev team) could suggest anything to try. Thanks.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, sounds odd. The latest version stores your saves in the "my documents" folder, I know some people have had problems when they have set up permissions in strange ways or are using remote network drives or install as one user and try to play as another user with different permissions.

What version was your original CD?
beautifulgrunge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i disabled all file sharing but it still doesnt work. My cd version is 1.0p. Hope that helps. Er, rather, I hope you guys can help me lol. A quick question though; why did you make it save to the my documents folder in this patch? I mean, my folder is cluttered enough already.....
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official Microsoft guidelines say the "my documents" folder is the place to put user specific data like saves and config files. People can have windows setup perfectly correctly and if you are not saving to "my documents" the game will not work.

Without being able to get my hands on your machine I currently have no idea why you cannot save.

Look in "my documents" and see if there is a Starscape folder, it should contain some config files and a folder with saves in it. Are there actually any save files in there?
James

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to find out what's going on with Filemon. It should show where Starscape is trying to write and why it's failing.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this has taken us so long - we did a pretty thorough check and came up with nothing - the only problems that might occur in windows 98 relate to using old graphics drivers, or an old version of directx - nothing to do with saves.

We did have some ideas though: is it possible you have wiether downloaded the wrong update, or downloaded the current version of the installer? (you should download the cd-rom edition patch)

The behaviour you describe sounds exactly the same as if you were running a download edition that hadn't been unlocked.

If one the main menu, the game has an 'unlock' button at the bottom, then you have the wrong version...
3rdDayRisen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautifulgrunge try this fix.... Might work with your saving problem.

http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=9896#9896

Fix not certified by Moonpod - Use at your own risk!
Thelo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: can't save Reply with quote

beautifulgrunge wrote:
I just updated to 1.5c (finally) and now I can't save. Basically, It says that the game has been saved, but the load tab is still darkened, and when I checked my save folder, it was empty. So, I'm guessing it's a save problem, and not a load problem. I made sure I had the right patch (the full cd one, specifically), and I've already uninstalled/reinstalled/reapplied patch. I'm running windows 98 se on a 500mhz pentium3 if that helps any. I'd appreciate if you guys(dev team) could suggest anything to try. Thanks.

I've had exactly that problem too. In my case, though, I remembered that a slip-up I made using Cygwin had altered the file permissions of many system files, including the My Documents folder. What I did to solve the problem was to allow every user and group on the computer to use the My Documents folder, which worked like a charm.

As found on http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7398 :
Quote:
Q: What are file permissions and how do I change them? (#7398)
A: File permissions are the system's way of telling you what you can and cannot do with a file or folder. They are governed by Access Control Lists (click for definition).

There are two ways of setting file permissions. You can do it the graphical way or the command-line way.

To do it graphically, you must have Simple File Sharing disabled from the View tab of Folder Options (Professional only) or be in Safe Mode (either). Right-click on the object of your choice and click Properties. Then go to the Security tab.
Here you are presented with a list of users and groups and a small list of permissions. More permissions are available when you click Advanced.
mjp3105

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded the game today, and like it alot but yeah, I'm having the exact same problem.

Ive tried all the idea's and suggestions listed here, and still no luck.
Same thing aswell, nothing in the my documents folders for any of the users (myself, admin, default)

Im using Windows XP pro.. if thats of any use.
If you need more information, just let me know.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation ::EDIT:: Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

I installed it on my sisters comp and it made the starscape directory in the my documents folder.
I tried to copy the folder from her comp to my doc folder, as a quick fix, but that didnt work lol.
Thats the end of my bright Idea run. Smile ... for now anyway.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation ::EDIT:: Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Another thing I thought Id mention, my sisters comp has a screen that lets you choose what user is to enter windows.
My computer doesnt have that, It just logs in.
I don't know how we got that screen on her computer, if anyone knows could you let me know, and I'll see what happens if I activate it on my comp.
Thelo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjp3105 wrote:
Downloaded the game today, and like it alot but yeah, I'm having the exact same problem.

Have you verified that your My Documents folder has full permissions for every user? (right-click on My Documents, Sharing tab, check everything on there ; if the Sharing tab isn't there, go to Folder Options and disable "Use Simple File Sharing")
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... If Simple File Sharing is enabled, the folder should have the right permissions. Much as I hate it on my own machine, I wouldn't recommend anyone to go turning off Simple File Sharing unless they were pretty comfortable with what they were doing.
Thelo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Hmm... If Simple File Sharing is enabled, the folder should have the right permissions. Much as I hate it on my own machine, I wouldn't recommend anyone to go turning off Simple File Sharing unless they were pretty comfortable with what they were doing.

Well another application could have changed the permissions. That's what happened to me.
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's a possibility. Still, surely you would have noticed the permissions being screwed up when you tried to do things in the folder yourself? If mjp3105 is able to copy a folder into My Documents, I would have thought that means the permissions are correct.
Thelo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could copy files & folders manually myself, but other apps failed to do it. I think my User had full permissions but the System did not, and the "Other Users" did not. Or something like that. It actually caused a whole bunch of problems with other things too, some subtler than others, like Battlefield 2 refusing to save anything either. A word to the wise: if you ever run into a "fixperms" script file that claims to "fix Windows permissions", don't run it! (in my case I tried it to fix some obscure Cygwin problems)
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How odd. I was under the impression that programs you run do so with your file-system priveleges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: