FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
nuclear weapons (are bad)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine that if the power isn't being used as its being produced, they probably have battery storage of some kind.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah but it takes more power to pump watter than the plant can produce espeshly if it has to sell all that power to cittys and towns
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the post, a lot of power generation systems cannot be turned off and on at will without incuring huge expense. I think most power stations can be turned down but not off. So at night (in the UK at least) there is a huge surplus of power that is not used and cannot be stored. Some of it is sold to France, some of it is used to pump the water back up the mountain in Wales, the rest of it ?? Just wasted presumably.
r000000b
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It no doubt uses more power pumping water back up than it uses when it comes down, the point is tho that it can suppliment the power grid during the day (instead of a traditional power station) and then at night when the there is excess energy in the grid, they pump it back, its more like a big battery.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen those small wind turbines you can stick on top of your house?
I can't seem to find a link now Sad but there are some small enough to mount on a chimney and look like small jet engine rather than a couple of large rotor blades. I'd love to install one at home, although I wonder how noisy they are. It's incredibly windy where I live. The only downside is we'd have to use batteries to store power, and they aren't the most environmentally sound things.

It might have the added advantage of stopping pigeons from pooping down my chimney Evil or Very Mad
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r000000b wrote:
It no doubt uses more power pumping water back up than it uses when it comes down, the point is tho that it can suppliment the power grid during the day (instead of a traditional power station) and then at night when the there is excess energy in the grid, they pump it back, its more like a big battery.

but the power wount still be in the grid it will have been all used up
r000000b
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the power it puts in the grid during the day will have been used up, but the power still being generated by traditional power stations (that cant be turned on or off) would normally be wasted right? this way they use that wasted energy to pump water, storing it untill they need it (during the day).

Also the pumps can be turned on very fast (1,200mw in 10 seconds ) this is usefull when a million englishmen turn on thier kettles after a penalty shootout (same link )
Degraine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that news article a few years ago! :D Interesting and somehow amusing, that the people who balance the grid have to watch out for something as...unrelated as a football match.

Fost, your description makes me think of only one thing. The poor man's air conditioner:

I didn't think you could get them with a dynamo attached, although it'd make sense.

I'm also officially removing myself from this discussion after I nearly knocked my monitor off the desk in an instinctive attempt to stab Icarus in the face over the internet.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it was pretty much like a white plastic engine, although not as long, and mounted horizontally, unlike your example. I still can't find them on the web though...
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a compact roof mounted generator in R&D (middle pic):

although it's still not the one I saw...
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the trees for?
r000000b
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

generating the necissary wind
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: