FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
the music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: the music Reply with quote

dont get me wrong, the music in starscape is well done. that being said, it doesn't exactly suit my taste. id rather listen to something like Front Line Assembly's Re-Wind album. so that leads me to this suggestion:

allow a way for users to override the in-game music with custom music in WAV or MP3 format. i believe this was done in fallout (although its been a while since i played around with it). they had several appropriate named directories in which you could place music files. during the game, the engine would randomly select a file when appropriate. for instance... have folders to the effect of "battle", "exploration", "boss1", "boss2", "bridge"/"menu".

this also allows for users to keep the music fresh if they intend on spending a lot of time playing the game.

-sX
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we plan to do this in future games, although we will probably opt for the .ogg music format. WAV's can be a bit processor heavy to play back and mp3 files require us to pay a huge licensing fee to support (I wish people would stop patenting algorithms). We will also probably include something to convert wavs to ogg format to make it easier for you.
Degraine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about mp3s? I know the quality of any multimedia generally goes down when you convert from one lossy format to another, but will there be support for converting mp3s to oggs as well? Or would that also require a licensing fee?
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look into it a bit more but I suspect if we do anything with mp3's then we have to pay - damn!!

I'd guess there are tools already available to convert between wav-mp3-ogg, I know i've seen a few players around so I don't think it will be a problem.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know how you can lissen to mp3 while playing just put the game in window mode, turn down the muisic voulme, and play your tunes in windows meda player

i do this in starscape but it probly wount work in games that use lots of system resorces
sabin-x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works, and thats what i did when i played through it... but its not the same thing.

-sX
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, it's better.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we embed MP3 playback capability into the game then we have pay an extortionate fee to Thomson: http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

Obviously the above rates are way above what we could afford. There are some SDK's about (since the mp3 decoder is in a separate dll, and the company who makes it has paid the above license fee, we would only have to pay the cost of purchasing that dll for use in our product)

However the cheapest one so far is $2000 per product (i.e. adding mp3 playback support would cost us $2000 per product).

The best option is to use ogg vorbis. We currently use this for the music anyway, so playback isn't a problem. At some point in the future it would be nice to add a music selection and playback system to our toolset. Then (in theory) we could add that to all our games.

EDIT: I was wrong about the SDK idea: you still need to purchase a separate license from Thompson. There is a special one for games which is $2500 per title.

Last edited by Fost on Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep your games light on the system resources and we dont need mp3s.
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: