FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
So what do you think?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see... i saw the advertisement on penny arcade and was instantly intruiged.

I downloaded it because it looked really good and something different for a change. i love being able to go up the tech tree and upgrade. starting off with something basic and small and getting a awsome force. plus the action was great too, and mining was strangley satisfying.

What put me off buying it was trying to get my hands on a credit card, I had to wait till I was 19, not that I wanted to wait at all of course.

The web site is very useful and easy to navigate through. Only a comment though is it seems veryoriented on starscape as its your only game for now, but will the site change when mr robot comes out to reflect that?

As for why I bought the game? Because it is completley totally awsome and worth every single penny.
Zenith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:

1. Where did you hear about it?
2. Why did you bother downloading?
3. What put you off and stopped you buying?
4. Do you think the website could be improved?
5. Why did you buy it?

1. Well... i've been seeing the banner ads at all of my web comic sites
( Megatokyo... RPG world comic... 8 bit theater) so i decided to check it out
2. it looked like fun

3. Stupid Paypal was being bothersome so nothing on your part

4. it looks good

5. because the demo was addicting..... MUST PLAY MORE!

THis is a great game and i will be recommending it to my friends
Thanks
postman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant remember for sure, but I have about 10 shmup news pages that I check daily, and it probably popped up on one of those. Or a forum somewhere.

I'm on a quest to collect all shoot em up games. No, really..... Laughing

Only my financial situation. The demo grabbed me, and I liked the idea of building ships and wanted to see more after finishing the demo.

I really like the website how it is now. Great look and nice graphics.....very impressive.

5. Why did you buy it?

Had a little extra cash flow and wanted to check it out. I'm glad I did. Figured the full game would be just like the demo, and it was.

Just a few comments on the game itself: I love the production quality, it's extremely high......the graphics and light effects are amazing. Also the RPG elements are something you don't find in a shmup these days, and they were semelessly blended in and fit perfectly with the action portions of the game. My only complaint with Starscape is that it's too repetitive. Sure it boasts 5 large areas, but most of them are just the same areas each time, just in a large amount and with a new enemy or two thorwn in. I would have liked to see something different every now and then......once you get the forumla down for playing Starscape (do research....mine.....get weapon upgrades from robots........destroy the enemy mining ship......beat boss), it's the same thing 5 times over.

Aside from that one observation, overall I think SC is an excellent game and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys PC games. Thanks SC team!
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

postman wrote:
Aside from that one observation

Yes, we have a plan for some cool updates Wink I hope we get the time to implement some of it soon.

Might be worth adding another question to this - If you could add one thing to Starscape, what would it be?
HunterXI

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's a bit belated, considering I bought Starscape quite a while ago.

Saw an Ad on http://weebls-stuff.com/ . (This lead to confusion between Weebl, a Flash-movie-making-general-cool-guy from the UK, and Weeble, a cool, non-flash-movie-making guy also from the UK Wink )

It sounded cool, and I was relatively bored at the time, so I thought "What the hell..." and Downloaded it.

Nothing. I bought the game once I had played thru the demo maybe 4 or 5 times.

While I know a bit of HTML, PHP, Javascript, etc., I'm no web designer. Personally, I think it's fine as is.

5. Why did you buy it?

Boredom (although let me say that that's no longer a factor Smile ), and the fact that it was so addictive I couldn't wait to see what happened in teh Campaign-like mode.

6. If you could add one thing to Starscape, what would it be?

Ehm... Probably either length (i.e. another zone in between 4 and 5) or depth (more main quests, possibly side quests). Not that the game isn't damn near flawless already...
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HunterXI wrote:

Ehm... Probably either length (i.e. another zone in between 4 and 5) or depth (more main quests, possibly side quests). Not that the game isn't damn near flawless already...

Nice to hear what someone who's had the game for a while thinks - I pretty much share your exact sentiments, and there's things we want to work on that address exactly those points. Not sure when they'll be available - some art has been done for them, but the code is the tough thing. Next Starscape update will probably just include some smoothlining of the unlock process code that is being worked on for Mr. Robot and a few minor changes. After that, we'd really like to do something a bit more special - but I've no idea when we'll find the time...
Destral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just bought the game - 4 hours ago, have been playing it non-stop - and I love it.

To answer the questions:

I followed a link from Game Tunnel, after following a link from www.feetofclay.com

The game looked interesting, and the demo was free, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Nothing. I was sold 10 minutes into the demo Smile

My own webskills are pretty lacking, and the site looks good overall. Nothing major to complain about.

5. Why did you buy it?

I really like games that combine several different gameplay mechanics into one seamless bundle. Starscape plays like a cross between Asteroids and X-Com, both games I've enjoyed immensely. Plus it throws in an interesting story, which both of the above were lacking.

Some of the menus - the 'Stores' menu and the spaceship creation/modification process in particular - are a little 'clunky', maybe making them a little easier to use would help. Other than that, I'm still playing through the game, so I'll be sure to update this post as I go through.
blackjack

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this a couple days ago. Have been ballyooing it at a couple different forums I hang out at. Smile

I never, ever click banner ads. BUT, I made an exception for this. Smile There is a large ad at Tim Buckley's webcomic Cntrl-Alt-Delete (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/). I'm sorry I didn't know about the game when it released.

Reading about it reminded me of all sorts of games I've liked, going as far back as Asteroids and as recently as Microsoft's Freelancer (in terms of Starscape fighter/space station ugpradability, wormholes and different zones to visit).

n/a Smile

I don't think it's quite a Web site thing, but the whole key registration "get a key, to get another key to paste in a key" process was a bit baffling to me, though i got through it OK.

5. Why did you buy it?

I'm a U.S. player, but I've long had a weakness for European dev-games and have done modest fan sites on games by European devs like Blue Byte's (Germany) Incubation and Delphine's (France) Darkstone.

Starscape seemed to both have the arcadey fun of PC shooters I've loved (like Apogee's Raptor) but the research/build/upgradeability/salvaging aspects and different zones, and ability to bounce between the zones, give it a lot more depth and replay value, not to mention the space station fun. Smile

Maybe these are later in campaign or I haven't noticed them, but some old school shooters I liked gave an occasional powerup for defeating something. Like a temporary boost in health or fire power. Or some crazy maneuver powerup that let you fighter fly in a circle or figure 8 briefly while firing still. I wouldn't want too much of that, but maybe just here and there.

Plus maybe some ability to customize the "look" of my fighters, whether by color scheme or adding little structural details to them. I know they're kinda tiny and all. Smile
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackjack wrote:

I don't think it's quite a Web site thing, but the whole key registration "get a key, to get another key to paste in a key" process was a bit baffling to me, though i got through it OK.

Thanks for the feedback Smile

The unlock process could be easier and we are working on that right now, if you're online you will be able to just run the game and type in your login mail and customer password we emailed you and then the game will automatically unlock itself. That should make it a lot easier.
Toren Kanesun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:

...just run the game and type in your login mail and customer password we emailed you and then the game will automatically unlock itself. That should make it a lot easier.

Said Poo Bear unto StarScape, "Go unlock yourself," and it was good.

Actually for the site, it would be nice if somehow the account info could be merged with the phpBB info, so when you log yourself in as a customer, you are automatically logged in to the forum. I can't imagine how mind-numbingly difficult it would be to do that, but it would definitely be nice. Smile

Better AI regarding the cannon and scoop used together. I'd like nothing more than that trigger-happy Bud Weisman to stop disintegrating asteroids and half the minerals in the process. I really hate going into areas cannon-less due to this issue.

In the same vein, better threat prioritization for aiming the cannon. I really hate seeing the thing blow away a teensy fighter when there's a mothership banging into it. Smile

Well, since I mentioned mining and cannon...ing, I did notice that I sometimes am overflowing with purple and amber minerals, while green is harder to come by.

OOH! One last thing... If the Aegis is full of a certain type of mineral when your ship docks and unloads more of that mineral, does the excess go to waste? If so, I recommend it be put toward R&D or into repairs.

*revises Fost's statement*

6. If you could add [several] thing[s] to Starscape, what would it be?

Ok, now my answers apply. Smile

- T K
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toren Kanesun wrote:
Well, since I mentioned mining and cannon...ing, I did notice that I sometimes am overflowing with purple and amber minerals, while green is harder to come by.

Rocks tend to drop very little green and a lot of purple. On the other hand, enemy ships tend to drop a lot of green and very little purple. If you mine both about equally (trust me, in later zones there are plenty of enemy ships to kill) you can stay nearly full in every mineral type.

Quote:
OOH! One last thing... If the Aegis is full of a certain type of mineral when your ship docks and unloads more of that mineral, does the excess go to waste? If so, I recommend it be put toward R&D or into repairs.

The excess automatically goes to repairs. That was added a few versions ago.
No.118

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the game, and am in a 'princly' 186th place. So I thought I'd share my thoughts.

Blank Label Comics

Looked interesting, had a bit of free time. Thought why not?

The timed demo nearly put me off. I hate time limited demos. Couldn't you have just limited it to the first zone + no saves?

Custom Avatars would be nice, but that's just nit-picking.

And of course 'more content' is always welcome.

5. Why did you buy it?

Hmm... I dunno... Hey! I want my money back! Twisted Evil

I already mentioned this somewhere else, but it would be nice if escape or some other key skipped an entire batch of dialogue, because it's a bit annoying if (when) I keep failing against a boss, and have to watch the same dialogue over and over again.

I also think that the Xenarch outposts were a wasted chance to add some more varied missions. The first and fifth zones were obviously different, but it would have been nice to have some more varied objectives than 'gather lots of resources' for the zones in between.

In fact, I thought that just in general the zones were all just too similar. One lost crew node, one Xenarch outpost, one new capital ship and one boss fight. Why not throw in two lost crew nodes into one zone just to make it seem a little less designed?

Also nice would have been a few Xenarch ships flying around, just around their outpost, or even if it's just actually in the Xenarch node itself. They claim to be fighting the Archnid, but you never actually see this. Also, it would be nice if you actually saw the Archnid fighting each other occasionally, as they are apparently supposed to be doing.

Also, it would be nice if the Instant Action was increased to include more scenarios. For instance, once you've beaten a certain zone boss, you can take them on again in Instant Action mode.

A tertiary fire would be nice as well, so that you can have 1: Unlimited Ammo weapons 2: Missiles (limited ammo, but still enough to use regularly) and 3: Nova bombs (to be used only in case of emergency)

And of course, once again 'more content'.

I am, of course, aware that most of that would be way to much work for a mere update but I just thought I'd put it out there in case you do a sequel or something.

Last edited by No.118 on Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
No.118

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I hit 'quote' instead of 'edit'
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

PC World magazine (Australia) cover CD
I didn't. It was right there on the disk.
The cost. I didn't have any money then, and I don't have any money now.
Yes. There should be a seperate section for each game (and if you've got mad website coding skills, have folding menus like at the world of warcraft website.
5. Why did you buy it?
I know a good game when I see it, and I try to support indie developers whenever I can (which isn't often cause as I said I don't have any money).
tieron_asaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got two syllables for ya in regards to this game:

Boo. Yah.

Next paycheck I am buying the full version... the twenty minutes spent in the action had me 'Instant'ly hooked.

-||-

1. I heard about it through your banner on cad-comic.com (Ctrl-Alt-Del are your best friends if you run windows xP)

2. I downloaded cause I love topdown shooters like this.

3. The only thing stopping me from buying as aforementioned time until paycheck.

4. The only thing I can think of to improve your website is... urm... on-site messaging between users (if you already have it I haven't figured out how to work it... cool colour scheme though)

5. I shall buy the moment I have the money.

6. Suggestions for the game: a simple toggle option to switch between the charge function or rapid fire for holding down the weapon button. In some situations (namely against a horde of drones, I'd imagine) not having to press the button a billion times to get off a good stream of fire would be useful. That and a possible expansion featuring a rogue element of those creepy as all hell robot dudes and having to take them out...?

Last edited by tieron_asaki on Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: