FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
So what do you think?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Action Reply with quote

1. Penny Arcade

2. It looked like fun.

3. Nothing. I bought it the night I downloaded the demo. If anything though, I'd say the registration process made me a little wary. I'm a fan of old school games, and as such, often revisit my old favourites years down the road. I'm worried I won't be able to get a regcode in the future.

4. Website gets the job done. Nothing exceptional, nothing wrong. Solid.

5. Why? Because Moonpod did so many things right.
A) The download version was cheap enough to make an impulse buy.
B) The demo played just enough to offer a feel for the game, without being too generous. (some demos seem to make the purchase redundant)
C) Moonpod itself. Since the inception of 3D gaming, it seems the game industry has been eschewing innovation and gameplay in favour of eye candy and "safe-bet" titles, as necessitated by the rising cost of development. Nothing wrong with that. In principle I support any move that brings gaming to a wider audience. However, I think it's important that channels still exist in which the old gaming values reign, and Moonpod represents that. In short- I liked what Moonpod was doing, and wanted to support it.
D) And of course, the game itself. Great customizable gameplay that the player can take at their own speed. Bright and colourful 2D graphics. It all works.
aikijmk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well, i heard about this on PA, as well... tally another one for Gabe and Tycho.
First of all, this game is great. I bought it two days after i downloaded the demo, and have been obsessed with it ever since. I'm one of those who likes to research everything as soon as possible (i had three devastators with lv. 4 blasters, engines, generators, and shields before i went to zone 2) so a larger research tree would be great for me. There are also some little things i'd like to see in the game to speed things up. I don't usually split my workers in R&D, so an "assign all" button there would be nice. Allowing people to click and drag parts in the docking bay, rather than having to store and then re-add something if you want to change the layout of your ship would also be nice. The other suggestions i have all duplicate info everyone else has- more upgrades for the Aegis, speed up warp-in/warp-out time, and docking. Overall though, one of the best shareware games i've ever played. Addictive as all hell.
ofanite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Where did you hear about it?
Banner on penny arcade... if it's on pa it'a always worth a try.

2. Why did you bother downloading?
Looked at the concept and screenshots and I found em very interesting

3. What put you off and stopped you buying?
Unfortunatelly for now it's only for lack of funds, the game is cheap but my rent isn't Sad.

4. Do you think the website could be improved?
I think the web site is great, I see no reason to change it. I found everything I was looking for.

5. Why did you buy it?
When I buy it, it will be for 2 reasons:
-1- Really good game;
-2- I would never use a crack version of a game made by a small company.

Cheers

Ofanite.
Akuma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5. Why did you buy it?

1. Penny Arcade link.
2. looking at the little ships got me giddy with thoughts of things going boom.
3.I was put off? The paypal receipt doesn't say that Razz
4.I like the website, crisp and clean and easy to navigate. No questions on what buttons take you where. The colors don't burn your eyes and overall its easy to read.
5.You got me addicted! It was crack or Starscape! I swear! I like the gameplay and HAVE to play through the whole thing..just waiting on the code to get here at this moment.

The game is excellent, you went from just a simple asteroid sort of thing and mixed in things I personally loved from several java games I had played, put in great effects, sounds, and a story. It all comes together for a great experience. I like the story and even the boring resource mining can be fun if you start messing around with things 'ROCKET MINING WOOT!'

The whole resource management and all makes me think you guys would kick serious rear if you made a Stratigey sort of game, the building and researching is simple and to the point and you see a different with each change.

Things I would like to see? Addon ability. I would kill to see whole sets of custom textures, ships, weapons, everything that the community could add or you yourselves throw in.

Great game whether a 15 min killer or a hour eater =)
Jer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun game. I agree with the others, it really does reminde me of Tyrian.

The hidden stuff is a bit TOO hidden. I've been searching the 2nd map for two days trying to find the other friendly spot.

Also, the sound is kinda buggy, every time I stop using the engines, there is a loud buzz or hum until another sound effect plays.

The music is good though, and nice job with the illustrations.
Chyron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Clicked on the Penny Arcade ad banner. (No other site I know of has ad banners worth clicking on; Penny Arcade does.)

2. Screenshots looked suitably fun. Chaotic, big explosions! Whee!

3. I've only played the demo for 5 minutes or so; I haven't decided about buying it yet, but I probably won't. It's not really my sort of game. I never much liked Asteroid-style controls. I'm more into the straightforward Tyrian-style shooters.

Maybe I'd have bought it for $10, but not for $25. It's a well-done game, though, I'll give you that.

4. Website is fine. I found all the info I needed quickly and easily. That's all I want from a website.

One very important point. I was _very_ annoyed by the 20-second mandatory wait after I quit the demo. Do _not_ do this, please. It is my computer. Do not hijack it. Not even for 20 seconds. In all honesty, this went a long way towards destroying my initial goodwill towards the game.

Please don't take this as a flame. I do think it's a good game. But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person to be annoyed by that mandatory wait, and - looking at it from a marketing standpoint - I would imagine that it would tend to put people off the whole game, rather than convince them to buy it.

Laszlo
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chyron wrote:

Please don't take this as a flame. I do think it's a good game. But I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person to be annoyed by that mandatory wait, and - looking at it from a marketing standpoint - I would imagine that it would tend to put people off the whole game, rather than convince them to buy it.
Laszlo

No problem, we really appreciate anyone taking time to give us feedback, both good and bad, especially when it's very constructive like your comments are. We have a list of a few things that people have mentioned that we are going to consider with the next patch, the 20 second demo exit wait is on there, and a few people have mailed us because they got stuck on quite minor parts of the tutorial.

-thanks again for your helpful comments.
Golden Anime

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Penny Arcade -_-'
2. I needed something to do, UT2003 was getting repeditive, i'd just beated WarIII

4. The website is great, but it wouldnt hurt to chuck a few more things in the secret gallery
5. I had money on my credit card, and the demo left my drooling for more when it abruptly spat in my face during an attack >_<

big thumbs up team Laughing

about that mandatory wait, that actually was one of the reasons i bought the game, one to get rid of the annoyance, and 2, cause it had lots and lots of tasty screenshots from other zones Very Happy
Shanjaq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

A: Actually I saw a delicious looking banner at the bottom of SomethingAwful.com. Reminded me a little of R-Type and I just had to check it out ^_^

A: I saw all the screenshots and went through all the features and saw something I dearly enjoy: upgrade-able weapons!!! and alt-fire!

A: NT

A: Dunno, just keep those screenshots in plain sight and this game will sell itself!

5. Why did you buy it?
A: The demo didn't give me enough, i didn't see a fraction of what the specs and screenies had shown and i wasn't ready to put it in the recycle bin! Honestly I was quite taken by the ability to research & develop custom ships, give them names(!!) and rank them among your fleet.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inzoum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PennyArcade Banner Very Happy from what I see on this forum, I'm clearly not the only one (mental note: if ever I want to self-publish a video game, beg Penny Arcade fr a banner spot)

No bother really, with a high-speed connection (1mbit DSL, not the fastest, but still considered high-speed), it's a matter of a few minutes and it's there, the screenshots were impressive

N/A

hmm... not really, though personnally I would have liked some screenshots in the online manual, such as for menus, I usually take an hour or so to read manuals before playing a game (or after 10 minutes of "preview" play)

5. Why did you buy it?
15 minutes of play? Rolling Eyes Honestly, I wasn't even done playing the dem's 20 minutes limit that I just exited and rushed on the site to order it! I knew I would only be able to play 20 minutes a game with the demo, and there was no way I'd be able to get to the point I could live out scenes like those on the site's screenshots Razz
AnonT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: Banner ad on Penny Arcade.
Judging from the number of gamers who read webcomics, you might want to put banner ads on other comic sites. You might want to try Eight Bit Theater for advertising: it's one of the few webcomics with anywhere near the following of Penny Arcade, and its author happens to be a fan of retro games and 2d shooters.
2: I was bored and the ad looked like it would be good enough to be worth the download time.
3: The 20 second delay at the end of the demo made it take an extra 20 seconds to get to your website to purchase the game. That didn't stop me for long, though!
4: Probably. As everyone else has said, you might want to add more information on the game to the website, seeing as it's a website for the game. ;)
5: Did you guys lace the code with nicotine, or something? I swear, I didn't even have time to think about whether or not I should buy the game before buying it. Maybe it was just the affordable price tag (how many new releases are twice that?), maybe it was that the demo was loads of fun, but I'm blaming it on the addictive properties of the game. Maybe we need to start Starscape Anonymous to help people suffering from Starscape addiction....

Really, you guys have done a great job with the game, and I love how you actually read and respond to the fans.... hopefully this won't change as the company grows.
The only problem I have is that paying for the game with an echeck means you have to wait a few days to be able to fully enjoy the game.... couldn't you give some kind of temporary code when people pay through paypal that lets them play normally for a week or so, after which point they have to enter the code that they should have received by then in order to keep playing? I know it's only going to be a few days, but still....

Edit: Another thing that you might do, since I've heard people say that the instant action thing is the same every time, you might put in a custom mission maker, where you can design a ship and choose which enemies to throw against it for a one-node battle. Maybe have certain enemies that need to be unlocked by playing the game, too.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about eightBitTheater we will check them out.

The eCheck delay is annoying, the problem for us is PayPal don't actually contact us until the check clears. So our automated registration systems are completely in the dark about it until then, thats why we put up the warning on the buy page, shame though.
ZionicStorm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I dunno... I guess I just migrated here... =/

2. Pshaw! It only took 2 mins! =) And besides, I like downloading things for no reason at all...

3. Urm, my mum was asleep =)

4. No, but it could be de-proved... Just replace it with a picture of a caveman whomping things.... Of course leaving it the way it is is fine with me too =)

5. Because its MY GAME! YOU CANT HAVE IT! *growls* My preciousssssssssssssss....

Urm, well i loved the game, but maybe you could make another game mode, kind of like skirmish, but have the hypergrid map scroll, and you could just play for hours and hours in a totally open-ended situation =) Or for Starscape 2 or whatever it is, you could make a HUGE tech tree, and have like, downloadable tech trees or something, make the aegis upgradable, the whole place bigger, and maybe make it open ended? Ever play the game Independence War? Independence War 2? No? Well buy them and play them. You'll thank me... Kind of the same genre as starscape, with delish graphicks too, and things that go boom =) But I still like starscape better. Must have more tech. Oh yes... And im playing the game with only one ship, and not in hard mode. Just one. I dont even have a backup hull =D And ive not died yet! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ZONE 5 HERE I AM!!!!
DDay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game .is good
web page .good
post .needs a spell check i am bad at this
help .its ok wish it was faster help but thats ok
poo bear .he\her is cool
frost .ur cool but u dont talk alot but when u post u say a lot at ones
Goober . ur cool also u are short but Simple post but i like that and
. ur pic looks like something out of southpark i like that
.also
off topic .you help pepol that r try to make there own game i think
help .help like that is a nice thing to do
overall .ill give u a 9.1 needs work
.but i still think u are best
Maktaka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Good, classic, blow **** up fun Reply with quote

1. Like most everyone else, I saw an ad at Penny-Arcade.
2. Unlike some sites (*cough* gamespy *cough*), most online comic artists actually endorse the products they advertise for. While I never saw the review that others have mentioned, I felt that just seeing it on a webcomic site was good enough of an endorsement to download the demo.
3. Nothing really, I bought it the day after I downloaded it.
4. Website seems fine, although I agree with Director that the game information is a little hidden.
5. Easy to buy, even though I didn't have a PayPal account before buying this game. Setup was quick and painless.

Great game really. Most of what I would say has already been said, but the big things I felt that needed work were the GUI (somewhat unintuitive), the amount of available research (not enough), and the entering and exiting animations for both nodes and the Aegis (too slow after the umpteenth time). Keep up the good work! It's nice to see that not everyone is adding layers of micromanagement and tactics to anything and everything they make.Rolling Eyes Just enough thought to provide a change of pace is good.

If it moves, shoot it.
If it doesn't move, shoot it anyway, it's probably just sleeping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: