FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
Profile
  Forum Statistics Register
 Log in to check your private messages
Log in to check your private messages
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
So what do you think?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Message
BlueSprite



Joined: 17 May 2003
Posts: 2



PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Where did you hear about it?
Saw the ads on different places and it looked like lots of fun so Idled demo and I love it!

2. Why did you bother downloading?
Looked like a very cool game which was a combination of strategy and shootem up

3. What put you off and stopped you buying?
Nothing in particular that has to do with the game, Im just trying to decide whether I should wait to see if the second vers has multiplayer or it comes out in a future patch for some reason or if I should just buy it.
EDIT
NM I just bought the game as I the demo was so friggen addicting and this even though its been said so much you really deserve to hear. Very very good work, this is truly one of the best games Ive seen in years. If you keep making games of this quality you will stomp the other guys into the dirt.


4. Do you think the website could be improved?
I think its good enough for its purpose.

5. Why did you buy it?
Im still iffy on getting it because I normally play games with multiplayer and usually only use multiplayer because the AI of a computer is simply that, artificial and rarely does the strategy of a computer match the unconventional approaches that a human mind may come up with
EDIT

I bought it because this game has a very good mix of strategy, micro managment and shoot em up, I am really looking forward to your future works and I plan on playing this game for a very long time.
Back to top
View user's profile
Tycow



Joined: 18 May 2003
Posts: 14
Location: Staffs, England



PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Where did you hear about it?
Saw a really ace looking ad on a download site (think it was tucows or something)

2. Why did you bother downloading?
Because I'm a big sci-fi game fan (freespace + freespace 2 anyone?) and it reminded me of some old RTS I had on the amiga Smile

3. What put you off and stopped you buying?
Nothing has put me off, just delayed me, and thats the ****** PayPal system, but thats been sorted now.

4. Do you think the website could be improved?
Anything can be improved, but the websites good Smile

5. Why did you buy it?
The story. I got a thing where once a good story's started, I have to see the end. Reminds me of Babylon 5 (vaguely). Oh and the really good gameplay, graphics, music and style Wink

I'm still playing it at 3:30 in the morning (although the 20 minute thing is gettin a bit annoying having to start again everytime Sad)
Back to top
View user's profile
Zero G



Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 21
Location: St. Louis



PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goober wrote:
Don't worry. The reviewer at Avault seems to have some issue with developers protecting their software from piracy. Who knows why? After seeing that good developers like Pom Pom are in trouble (and they don't protect their titles) you'd think reviewer guy would be more understanding of the situation.

The online activation really wasn't bad. I have no idea why the Avault article seemed so critical of that method or the need to have the CD in the drive to play that version. They never complain when Blizzard, Valve, Firaxis, etc. copy protect their software.

I just played through the game on normal and it was a lot of fun. I'm going to play through a game on hard after getting a small map or two in on Civ3: PtW.

I'd really love it if Starscape 2 had a better flight model. I think a lower max speed when using reverse thrusters would have been a better solution than making them weaker than the auto-brake. It just feels too weird to hit reverse thrusters and have your rate of deceleration decrease. But free flight...oh for free flight.

A longer game with more side-quests and options in technology would be great. This is not a criticism of Starscape, which truly is a very good game. I'm just hoping you continue to build on what you've accomplished.

Just in case you might want a little inspiration here's a link to an open source remake of Star Control 2 at SourceForge called The Ur-Quan Masters. I do like your game model more but the free flight and numerous side quests of SC2 are way cool.

Anyway, the article at Avault was very positive (aside from the one misleading gripe) and is the reason I checked Starscape out in the first place. I'm glad I did and I hope that review brings many more customers to you!
Back to top
View user's profile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 3734



PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero G wrote:

The online activation really wasn't bad. I have no idea why the Avault article seemed so critical of that method or the need to have the CD in the drive to play that version. They never complain when Blizzard, Valve, Firaxis, etc. copy protect their software.


Bob at Avault seems to have a bit of a thing about copy protection, he wrote a quite extensive article about it on Avault (sorry, I don't have the link but it should be possible to find) which is an interesting read, however I think we address all the points he raises in it.

When we designed the system, we came at it with the mission to make it virtually pain free, why should legitimate users suffer? and we continually streamline the system as and when anyone comes to us with a problem (we have added lots of failsafes and explanatory text to cover every eventuality over the past month). We also even pay someone to work part time to check the support email addresses at regular intervals thoughout the evening when we are out of work (we were doing this before there was even any money coming into the company)

Whilst I wouldn't normally feel it's my place to pick up on a bad point in a review Embarassed , I have to say I can't understand the justification in this case. Like you said, why pick on a 3 man development team, and not big name companies? It's especially odd seeing as he didn't even use the registration process (we emailed him the code direct!). Bob Mandel does write some of the best articles about games on Avault (his yearly games roundup is one to look out for), I guess he just has a hangup about copy protection!

Even so, if anyone wants to test us then I welcome the challenge: try to get better support from a big publisher than you will from us. It's been a matter of principle from day one to spend time answering support emails personally and as swiftly as we can.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Rup



Joined: 19 May 2003
Posts: 363
Location: London, UK



PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny Arcade again, via the (brief!) sidebar ad. I'll generally download any demos from PA ads.

CD arrived this morning, ta. Bought it because it's fun, nostalgic and not too expensive. (Laughed out loud at default pilot 'JAMESON'.) Like the ELSPA-alike rating :-)

Part of the reason I bought is that you're the Crash/Totalled team - not that I own that, sorry - but it's nice to hear you're back in business: I heard Jon 'Burnt Kona' Murphy's version of events on the polycount forum, but I guess that's the way the industry works. (I also still think Hostile Waters is the greatest thing ever in case any of you had anything to do with that.)

The website's usable and stylish enough. I still can't find PA's write-up of Starscape (their search only searches comics) - worth you linking to it from the reviews? General impression I read here is that it was very positive. It'd be nice to have the customer login shared with the forum login, or maybe customer login over SSL but I guess there's no business case for that (until you can start accepting credit card payments yourselves with a merchant services account from a bank - and that's likely not economic yet). Also might want to have the 'Starscape' button text on the left bigger to make it clear that's section title, but could imagine it looks better as-is.

I don't know if you've managed to get this on magazine cover CDs yet -I'd think that'd be your best marketing move.

Thanks for a great game - I'll look forward to playing it properly.
Back to top
View user's profile
Pod



Joined: 21 May 2003
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I saw the game on the sidebar at Penny arcade.

I bought it for a number of reasons.
1) Since it looked alot like a game I am designing/writing for the gba.
2) The effects are alot like Ikaruga's and I like that style.
3) I'm a huge retro fan.

I can't fault it. Its ace.
I like the website too. Its got the same feel as the game. It would be nice to know what you guys are planning on doing next although I'm aware you've only just finished starscape.

Pod

P.s. I didnt buy it because my name is pod like a few of my firends have suggested Wink
Back to top
View user's profile
Adonis



Joined: 24 May 2003
Posts: 7



PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Where did you hear about it?

Inktank!

2. Why did you bother downloading?

It looked fun. Smile I was right.

3. What put you off and stopped you buying?

I did buy, but it was a bit of a pain. My paypal had just expired (didn't bother to fix my expiring CC info) and share*it took a little while to confim. (I wanna play NOW Crying or Very sad).

4. Do you think the website could be improved?

Make the patches a bit easier to find (in the left menu maybe? Support/Patches). Perhaps a few 'spoiler stats' -- IE Heatseekers, blaster2, low tech stuff. A way to get back to the main site from the Message Board. Very nice website though. Consistant and clean and appropriate theme.

5. Why did you buy it?
20 min is long enough to get me hooked, but not long enough to do anything. Supporting good work, good value for money, blah, blah, blah.
Back to top
View user's profile
Groenevlooien



Joined: 02 Jun 2003
Posts: 1



PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Where did you hear about it?

FilePlanet, I'm afraid. Every few weekends, I go trolling for new demos to try.

2. Why did you bother downloading?

First of all, I have a fast connection, so I'm never afraid to download a demo if it looks interesting. That said... I can't remember what seemed interesting in the description of this game. I think I just figured, "Eh, it's a fairly small file, it sounds like it might be fun, and it looks pretty decent. Lots of big explosions. Pretty, pretty explosions... Click."

3. What put you off and stopped you buying?

N/A. I registered it as soon as I hit the time limit on my first run of the demo. I just liked it that much.

4. Do you think the website could be improved?

Nothing springs to mind. I had no difficulty finding what I wanted to find.

5. Why did you buy it?

Ah, there's the $24.95 question.

I could go into a long description about why I felt this game was worth the shareware fee, but basically, I'd end up describing the entire game. Everything about it felt just right. The visuals, the music, the story, the elements of strategy, the gameplay, the balancing -- it all just felt perfect. I couldn't think of a single thing I didn't like about this game, and a great number of things that I did like.

That's not to say I can't think of things that would be nice to have added to the game. More technologies, more ships, more adversaries, more allies... there are many directions it could go. (I disagree about shielding the Aegis, incidentally. If not for the fact that in the last Zone, I had to constantly go back to save it from distruction, the entire game would have seemed too easy to finish.) But that's all stuff that would be best put in a sequel, not added as a patch to the present game, in my opinion.

My personal philosophy about Shareware is that I'm not so much paying for something I have, as I am rewarding the authors for doing a good job (and, hopefully, encouraging them to do more). I honestly feel that the work that was done on this game was worth my $25, so I gave it gladly. I can't say for sure how many times I'll play through the game again, but I do know that I want to see more games like it, and that's reason enough to register. (Although hey, it wouldn't hurt to release the soundtrack in a downloadable form. Wink)
Back to top
View user's profile MSN Messenger
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Posts: 3734



PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groenevlooien wrote:
it wouldn't hurt to release the soundtrack in a downloadable form.


Unfortunately we don't own the rights to distribute the music separately from the game. However if you do a search on the web for 'Nick Tidy' you should turn up a few albums he has made or worked on.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Bane Grievver



Joined: 03 Jun 2003
Posts: 2
Location: Canada



PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Heard about it on GameSpy (Fileplanet)

2. It looked fun and I've got broadband so a download never hurts. Games where I can upgrade weapons and such interest me for some reason Razz

3. I will probably buy it, but I'm in debt from a new car so I've been trying to avoid any excess purchases.

4. Perhaps a profile section that gives examples of the upgrades and ships you can get/will be facing.

5. Haven't bought it yet, hehe.

Anyways, I liked the demo alot, wish I could play longer to get more upgrades and such. Great job guys!
Back to top
View user's profile
Durandal



Joined: 03 Jun 2003
Posts: 7
Location: WA, US



PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
1. Where did you hear about it?


Saw an ad on Penny Arcade.

Poo Bear wrote:
2. Why did you bother downloading?


It looked like a fun game, something I could just jump in and play.

Poo Bear wrote:
3. What put you off and stopped you buying?


The demo was a real letdown to me, I like to be able to explore everything that's out there... having the 20 minutes end when I was in the middle of a big fight didn't help either. Very Happy

I almost didn't buy it, due to the $25. I could have probably found something in the bargain bin that would have lasted longer, but.....

Poo Bear wrote:
4. Do you think the website could be improved?


*Shrugs* Looks fine to me. It works; that's what matters.

Poo Bear wrote:
5. Why did you buy it?


.....but this game I could start playing 5 minutes after I bought it. I loved the research, customizibility, and mothership options (turrets, etc), and I figured it would be a great game to play when I was bored of everything else, or didn't have much time.

I've always liked these kind of games because of the add-ons to your ship, and this looked like it had a ton. I hate these games due to the mining... but after playing it a while, I found that isn't much of a problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sheepdan



Joined: 13 Jun 2003
Posts: 2
Location: UK



PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: So what do you think? Reply with quote

1. Where did you hear about it?
Penny Arcade.

2. Why did you bother downloading?
Fast connection; I was after anything to distract me from revision; I've been working on-and-off on an asteroids-style game for a long time.

3. What put you off and stopped you buying?
Exams! I bought it the afternoon they were over Smile
I was worried it'd prove to be very same-ish and i'd quickly get bored (i'd been seeing how far i could get in 20 mins... the timer was good for stopping me playing too much when i should have been revising! is it possible to kill the boss on the demo? i got pretty close, i think).
If i didn't work in the copy protection industry, the online purchase/delivery would have put me off.

4. Do you think the website could be improved?
Seems fine to me. Oh, the left and right navigation bars don't always seem to make sense.

5. Why did you buy it?
A nice, simple, clean game. Indy developers, low price tag - much better than spending on the latest big-name game that requires me to upgrade my PC to make it run!


The copy protection system - did you write it yourselves, or licence it from someone else? The lock-to-PC / lock-to-CD options seem similar to what i've worked on.
Back to top
View user's profile Visit poster's website
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team


Joined: 11 Oct 2002
Posts: 449
Location: Moonpod Central



PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: the copy protection system - we came up with that ourselves. We knew of some systems that lock to a specific PC, but hadn't used any. We coudln't afford to license any off the shelf solutions, so we had to get down to it and do it ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile
starscape junkie



Joined: 15 Jun 2003
Posts: 177
Location: The Thirteenth Colony



PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. penny-arcade, look at the cult following...lol
2. you wouldnt belive how boring life is when youve beaten almost every good game there is..ok, im just joking(sorta), i have no idea why i downloaded
3.hafting to redo the intro part of the game...
4.a little restructuring could go a long way..or at least a site map...
5.eh, i was impressed by the game, but i had to do some negotaiting to get someone to use a credit card for me...would like it better it was in stores
Back to top
View user's profile
StreetZ



Joined: 28 Jun 2003
Posts: 4
Location: Kansas City, Missouri



PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Chalk one more up for the Penny Arcade ad.

2) Actually, I bought the game before I downloaded it. I got tired of waiting a day after I bought it and downloaded it at work so I could get a taste of what I was getting into. Now I kinda wish I didn't because now I want the CD to get here even faster.

3) Nothing really. The game just looked too cool to pass up trying.

4) I like the website. It's clean and simple. There isn't a lot of distraction. The only thing I noticed was a lack of information about the game. I was hoping to find links that would tell me a little about the equipment I could research and ship types, both enemy and player.

5) Well, I pretty much bought the game right after reading the description and looking at the screen shots. I loved the thought of mixing my favorite Atari game Asteroids with the arcade action and upgrade ability of Raptor: Call of the Shadows and then tossing in an Anime style. I swear my mouse clicked the payment button before my brain registered the coolness of it all.

I haven't recieved the game yet, but from what I've read in the forums and from the small taste I've gotten from the demo, I can already tell it was well worth the price tag.
Back to top
View user's profile AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group