FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Frank Miller's Sin City
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Film Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Frank Miller's Sin City Reply with quote

Ok, it's official, I'm excited now Very Happy
I've tried not to be, so I don't set myself up for disappointment, but I can't help it...
If anyone spots any interesting production info, please feel free to post up here...

Sin City MarvSin City NancySin City GailSin City Goldie
Mickey Rourke is Marv. Jessica Alba is Nancy. Rosario Dawson is Gail. Jaime King is Goldie.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe Rourke would be a good Marv. From what I remember, Marv wasn't exactly a pretty boy, and Rourke's pretty boy days are over, so it might work Smile

I mean, he looks like he fell out of the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down....then the tree fell on him Very Happy

Seriously though, it'd be nice to see how he'd fare in an action movie at his age. I know he's got it in him to do good work, though he's done his share of crud films too. I just hope Sin City will be cool since its Frank's baby.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGO video interview (if you have the bandwidth), although it's the usual tv pap about an upoming film - they don't telly you much, but gush over how great the movie is.

One thing I noticed: Frank Miller looks suspiciously like the Yellow *******. Shocked
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Footage from Comic-Con

http://207.36.117.163/sincity.mp4
(right click and save as, or some browsers try to stream it)

*note this download is 55 meg, and needs an upto date media player or quicktime install.

This footage is work in progress to show the way the comic was used to compose shots for the film. So far I'm thinking, ok, but it has an arthouse/cheap feel to it, rather than the gritty feel the comic has. I'm pretty sure Robert Rodriguez has done the music for it (he has a complete home studio and tends to do that), and whilst it sounds sleazy, that's because it sounds a bit cheap- maybe in the final version they will use a better composer.

I'm also not convinced yet by Mickey Rourke as Marv, or that English guy trying to sound tough and do an American accent (he's playing Dwight).
James

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
that English guy

That was Clive Owen, wasn't it? He was great in Privateer 2 (a game which also featured Brian Blessed in a role as a large shouting bloke; nothing like playing against type).

It looks like it's shot digitally to me, which probably doesn't help in terms of the cheap look. Maybe they'll add a bit of grit to it in post production or something? I'd agree that there's generally something "off" about the look of that footage.

That said, there's a hell of a lot of promise there, and it could end up looking amazing.

Have you seen Killer 7, by the way? Has a similar sort of look to it. It's one of the games I'm really hoping will be playable when I'm at the Tokyo Game Show next week Smile
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James wrote:
That was Clive Owen, wasn't it?

Yeah, that's the guy. I like him, he's usually pretty good, he just seemed a bit off in that footage. He's also the guy in the free bmw web films. Although Star by Guy Ritchie is probably the only really good one.
James wrote:
It looks like it's shot digitally to me

It most definitely will be - Rodriguez did Once Upon A Time In Mexico with Cinealtas, and he seems like a convert. That said, this is raw footage, and OUATIM looked really good from a pure filmic standpoint.
James wrote:
Have you seen Killer 7, by the way? Has a similar sort of look to it. It's one of the games I'm really hoping will be playable when I'm at the Tokyo Game Show next week Smile
Show off! Yeah, I thought the same about Killer 7, but couldn't work out how it was played from the videos. Have a good time in Japan, don't do anyone we wouldn't do...
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Have a good time in Japan, don't do anyone we wouldn't do...

i'm hoping thats a typo
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First official Sin City trailer:

http://movies.channel.aol.com/movie/main.adp?_pgtyp=pdct&tab=trailers&mid=19736

not sure if there's a better feed that doesn't require AOL's webvideo activex RUBBISH!!!!
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah, those nice chaps at apple have release a decent quality quicktime trailer: http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city.html
so there's no need to install AOL's tat if you want to see it.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the website is now up:

http://www.sincitythemovie.com/
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some new stills:

Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had to jump onto a different machine to get this site to load. I must say, I think everyone they've chosen for the parts seems to fit. I just hope the performances measure up.

I also tried out their little alley shootem up on the site, both on this crud machine and on my other supposedly good one. I had better success on the better system, but even that one lagged at the on rushing goons. Cool game, but I think it went overboard on the goons a little quick.
James

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good article about the film in the latest Dreamwatch magazine. Miller sounds really positive about the way it's turned out, which is encouraging. It seems he really didn't trust anybody to make a movie of Sin City. They pretty much had to actually start production and show him how they were going to do the film before he'd let them have the rights.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it can only help these "comic book movies" when the creators actually have some input in the process. I might be wrong, but doesn't Frank in this case actually have a co-director credit with this? If so, it should be all the better.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he's co directing. Rodriguez is doing most of the stories, but I think Tarantino may be involved with 'The Big Fat Kill'

Like everything, it could be rubbish, and I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I think it has a good shot. If they can't do it, I don't think anyone can...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Film Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: