FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Length,.?.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Length,.?. Reply with quote

Hey there.

Played the demo and it rocked. My only question before i buy the game is,

How long does it take to play through? (roughly)

i really do love the game but the only thing holding me back would be the length of the game.

also another question. Do you think that it will be opened up to modding, map making, campaign creation by us?

well thanks for your time.
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Glad you like it so far Smile

All in all we estimate you should be looking at something like 10->16 hours of play, depending on how l33t you are. Each zone takes progressively longer to complete (there are more nodes and enemies in later zones).

As for modding, not for Starscape 1. We could potentially return to Starscape and do a more elaborate sequel at some point, and I think we all would like to build it in such a way that it could be modded and such. But it's really down to whether/when a sequel is produced.

Just to test the water, who reading this would want (a) a sequel of sorts, (b) a sequel with mod support from the outset ??
the truth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So about 9 hours for me then Wink

Yeah, would like to see mod support and would definatly like to see a sequel.

Ive thought about it and im gonna buy starscape on monday (just have to get rid of girlfriend first,..)

One other thing though. I love the game and I like the idea of supporting a small company, however with no current mod support and a development time of x months - x years, how do u intend to maintain intrest in Moonpod games after the initial intrest of Starscape has died down?

best of luck and i look forward to blowing some aliens up come monday!
Goober
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our intention is to complete a new title every 6->9 months or thereabouts. Hopefully you all won't forget about us in that relatively short time Smile

I agree that having support for mods in our games would be cool, but for Starscape it just wasn't possible. We had to develop (from scratch due to previous contractual issues), test (with limited test resources) and market a complete game in <9 months. Which we managed, just. There were a number of areas in the code that ended up being written specifically for this title, simply because the quickest and safest way to do that was to just code them directly in. We could have use scripting languages and such to add these features, but it would have significantly added to development time, and certainly added to test time, which we couldn't afford.

Now that we have a codebase to build on, we can look at how we can improve the various modules we have, in terms of compatibility, flexibility and performance (and possibly in that order). We don't intend to rewrite everything for every game, so having generic modules we can reuse is certainly a good thing from our point of view, and given a choice we would have rather developed moddable systems for Starscape, we simply had to make some sacrifices for this game due to the very tight timescale.

This seems to have turned into an explanation of why Starscape isn't moddable. Ah well, at least now you all know Wink. In the future we'll be trying to make as much of each game data driven (i.e. moddable) as possible, within the constraints of that title. So in the future you should start to see more customisation possible as we progress.

One other thing we are considering doing in order to keep people interested in us is some sort of updates page where we show you how the next game is coming along. We were thinking of posting details on what we're doing, technical problems we come across and how we solve them, that sort of thing. Probably not a tome of knowledge (simply due to time, again), but hopefully something people might be interested in seeing. This is still in the "maybe, maybe not" stages at the moment, but I think it would be cool to let people know what's involved in making games.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the game. And let us know just how long it takes you Wink.

Cheers,
bortin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a sequel with modding ability that allows us to create our own campaigns, add in ship/weapon/space graphics and MULTIPLAYER. Cooperative multiplayer rather than a simple death match shooter.

Have the players work together maintaining a starbase or fleet. Add in capital ships. Planets. Freighter routes. Stuff like that...! Very Happy
KingFido

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy ****! Multiplayer starscape? on linux? roar!
more guns! more explosions! more death! carnage! pretty flashey bits!
where do i sign up?
Director

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sequel would be good, although I haven't had time to finish the first one yet.

Although I'll step out of line to suggest that modding and multiplayer aren't all that important.

Most of the games of this type that I really liked, (Star Control, Star Control 2, Solar Winds etc.)
Didn't have any modding capacity at all.

I guess I'm saying I'd like the adventure part of action/adventure explored more in a sequel.
vortex

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modding! I think I'd have as much fun modding stuff as playing the game - my skills (and software collection, I don't like using pirated stuff) isn't up to the task of modding most stuff these days, but I could handle things like campaign scripting. Modding is a must-have in any sequal for me, it adds so much to the replay value of the game.
Ülf

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Most of the games of this type that I really liked, (Star Control, Star Control 2, Solar Winds etc.) Didn't have any modding capacity at all. [/quote]

Allow me to preface this statement by:

Star Control? Are you kidding me? That was one of my least favorite games ever!

Sorry to introduce myself by hating on one of your favorites.

Anyhow, I don't think that modding/campaign building is immediately necessary, although it is a nice feature down the line. I think of Spidweb software's Blades of Exile title, and how that boosted popularity. This was their 4th (and last) release of the Exile series. Anyone looking for endless hours of gameplay will surely get a steal from that title! I can see a company using this strategy to keep a game fresh, and keep their company's game prominent while they need to spend an extended period of time developing the codebase to start the next series.

Multiplayer needs to be nicely done: There needs to be a variety of tactics. Any random collection of college kids can hack together a multiplayer space shooter (I'm thinking of my software engineering class's Starfire group), but to make something worth buying and playing more than 20 minutes requires some effort on gameplay and support. Again, example of good balancing: any Blizzard game (balanced gameplay and battle.net).

For me to purchase a sequel or expansion of any game, there are two prerequisites:
1. The original game had to be enjoyable.
2. The developers need to show me that they have come up with something, something that merited their development time, and merit's my additional support of their company. Example (good): Blizzard's Starcraft was originally going to be released with the Warcraft II engine, which would have been a flop, but instead they added another 2 years to the development and came out with something that continued to captivate their audience. Example (bad): Every Command and Conquer game is essentially THE SAME GAME.

So, in summation, a game needs to be significantly improved, but that could come from a number of different areas, not just campaigning/modding. That's just my take from a veteran gamer.

Ülf

P.S. Nice work with Starscape. I'm almost much sold on it!
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: