FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
A Mac edition of 'Starscape' would be nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: A Mac edition of 'Starscape' would be nice. Reply with quote

I'm interested in playing this game, but I have no intention of doing the dirty thing of buying a Windows machine.

I'd also like to know why Windows users hold Mac users in similar contempt that the latter hold the former. Confused
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: A Mac edition of 'Starscape' would be nice. Reply with quote

Mister_Head wrote:
I'm interested in playing this game, but I have no intention of doing the dirty thing of buying a Windows machine.

Fair enough, we'd like a Mac version too Smile Sadly we just don't have the resources to do it. We did some work on a Mac version a while back, but never had the time to finish it. If you do a search for 'mac' on the forum, you'll find this has been discussed on numerous occasions and we have given more detailed answers.
Mister_Head wrote:
I'd also like to know why Windows users hold Mac users in similar contempt that the latter hold the former. Confused

I'm not sure that's true, and I haven't experienced anyhting other than the usual 'my system is better than yours' type posting on forums. It's certainly not got anything to do wth why there is no version of Starscape. We have no problem at all with Mac users, and we wanted to support Mac (and Linux too) from the start, we just can't afford the time currently. Who knows, maybe when we have a few games out, we'll be able to hire a Mac programmer Very Happy
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd also like to know why Windows users hold Mac users in similar contempt

Mostly a holdover from the days when mac users would come up to me every 5 minutes and say "my mac is better than your Windows machine!" to which I would reply "too bad you don't have any software. Oh, and you paid twice as much for roughly equivalent hardware." And then I'd try to use a mac at school, and get ticked off at the one-button mouse.

Since OSX came out, I no longer hold contempt for the mac (the 'nix core is way cool.) I do still hold contempt for certain mac evangelists, though.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can you mac users live whith only one mouse bouton?
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've been a Windows/DOS/FreeBSD/Linux person my whole life, and since OSX is based on the FreeBSD (not Linux) core, it has greatly been elevated in my opinion so I hold no contempt to the Mac. I do however hold contempt to Mac users that claim they know all and everything 'sucks' next to the Mac all because they actually know very little as they often prove. Not to sound mean or anything, but you are making yourself out to sound that way...
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big issue for us is support. We aren't really in any kind of position to work on post release support for a Mac. Goober spent a lot of time getting version 1 of Starscape up and running on a Mac, to the point where most stuff was going other than controller and audio support. this is where the reall work begins though. It looks almost finished, but making sure the game will work on different OS/drivers etc is tough enough when you are dealing with a PC and you have two programmers who (in my opinion) are in the top percentage of PC games programmers out there and are highly experienced. When you only have one iMac and you've no experience with Mac programming it's a very big deal (especially for a 3 man company).

The Mac did come pretty close to being thrown out of the window a couple of times too Shocked Goober wroked pretty hard on it.

I think the ideal situation would be to contract someone in to work on it, and have a long support period as part of the contract.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea so get your other PC pals to support Starscape and Moonpod so they can get the dough to pay that Mac techie Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: