FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Completed Scavenger Challenge (** SPOILERS **)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Completed Scavenger Challenge (** SPOILERS **) Reply with quote

I have always been a fan of Starscape game challenges, and when Weeble proposed a scavenger challenge some time ago, I knew I had to try it. After one failed attempt a couple weeks ago, a casual half an hour game this afternoon turned into a bloody nerve-wracking Starscape marathon. But I finished a scavenger game. This odd-looking high score now belongs to me:

Catherine Darrow 554917 Saves: 0 Ships: 1 Finished: True Hard: True

Final screenshot:

The rule in scavenger is simple: never touch the build button.

Among other things, this means you get a single ship hull: the prowler hull you start with. And you're always hopelessly outgunned.

The thing to appreciate about a scavenger game is how very much you are at the mercy of the random number generator. My first attempt saw a brutal death in zone 4, as I still had not found that fourth blaster 2. This game was different--I had over 16 blaster 2's by the end. And my station still had turret 1's and 2's and a cannon 1 on it. (Yowch).

Since the capships tend to drop more stuff in earlier zones, I made absolutely sure to milk every zone for all it was worth, especially for miners, and to make sure I got all the tech I could from a zone. I made sure to research blaster 2's --and nothing else!-- until I had them all, and then gradually began looking for turrets and other upgrades.

One particular feature I exploited: when a miner drops an info node, it reveals the location of the boss node. If you don't pick it up, the boss makes another miner for you, so you can find the boss node. (It'll make you an extra four or five, it seems, even after it normally would grow tired of making them). It's a nice feature to keep games from becoming unwinnable--and I'll somewhat ashamedly say that I badly abused it to squeeze every last miner out of the earlier bosses. I destroyed a good many info nodes--I'm sure the crew back on the Aegis thought I was nuts. Wink

The most frustrating moments were clawing my way through zone 4. The game --refused-- to give me an engine 4 or generator 4 until midway through zone 5. One or the other would have at least let me use an engine 3, but I was left pecking at the zone 4 swarms in an overweight, unshielded prowler, with four blaster 2's and an engine 1. It was an adventure, let me tell you.

I did very well with the cautious creep-and-peck movements on the grid. Usually I fly right into the thick of the swarms, trying to draw as much fire as possible in one run. Instead this game, I lazily sat at the fringes of the pack, picking off straglers. It worked very well--I wasn't overwhelmed more than a time or two on warp-in.

The dynamics of a scavenger game on hard are really nuts. Just as you're getting the tech you really need (engine 4's, generator 4's, turret 3's), you're entering the zones where --nothing-- drops --anything--. It makes you really appreciate every piece of tech.

My end game ship was the prowler with four blaster 2's, an engine 4 and generator 4, grav3, two missile drones, and a cargo bay. The bay was going to be a nova3, someday, but the nova bombs never showed up for the party. My end game station had 3 turret 2's, one turret 1, and a cannon 1.

After mostly clearing zone 5 and picking up my end game tech, I swung back through the earlier zones to research up all the Xenarch tech (for the points), and then cleared the final zone.

All in all, the game was tough as nails, and the combat good and hard. I had many close calls with both ship and station. Lots of fun, and thanks to Weeble for the good challenge game suggestion Smile

I need sleep now...

-Dove
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Well done! Take a well earned rest.

I suppose we should consider putting some of these challenges into the game properly in the future.

GAH! must work on Battlescape! must work on Battlescape!

I think we could work on Starscape our entire life and never run out of ideas!
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that means Dove and Weeble are like the Jedi of the Starscape universe then.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
So that means Dove and Weeble are like the Jedi of the Starscape universe then.

Your will is done, Imperious leader...

Wish we could assign multiple ranks on the board, I'll have to look into that Wink
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't look at me. I only did it on normal. That's pretty damn impressive on hard. Well done, Dove.

Weeble.

[EDIT] Yay! I like my Jedi.
Dove
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooooh... that is so cool! Thank you! Smile

I'm kinda proud of the zero saves. Gave me shivers with every close call...

Weeble, yours is pretty impressive too because you used no Xenarch tech. I'd sure miss my missile drones--in a prowler, two free gun mounts mean a lot!
guillett

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Howsabout for Starscape 1.5, "Scavenger" becomes an official difficulty level? The molecular forge is permanently disabled, limited tech (obviously no weapons above level 2, but think some other evilness could be added here? Maybe revive the ol' "No Cannon 3 for the Aegis" thing)... and no escape pods. If your ship is toasted, it's back to the load screen for you! I think this becomes a moot point, though, what with Prowler hulls being left off of the drop list for enemies... Very Happy

Personally, I feel now that Hard Mode and Survivor seem to give me little in the way of a challenge, adding in some kind of "Absurd" difficulty setting would be really nice! In the meantime, I'm off to earn my Starscape Jedi nametag... Laughing
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guillett wrote:
Hmmm... Howsabout for Starscape 1.5, "Scavenger" becomes an official difficulty level?

We'll definitely think about this for the future. 1.5 is already complete and is in the middle of testing, so we don't really want to add anything else to it, as then we'll have wasted a long test phase.
guillett wrote:
In the meantime, I'm off to earn my Starscape Jedi nametag... Laughing

Oh dear! What have we started! I think we'll only be giving them out for something particularly cool in the future. Although, it would be nice if we could link the board to the high score table in some way and have it all work automatically Very Happy
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to make the "link the board to the high score table" suggestion, actually... maybe just add another column to the table that's normally blank, and then fill in links for games that get written about in the forum...
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it nessecary to point out at the current point, i could build myself a devestator and have it count as one ship, as long as i didnt put the prowler in as a ship. Cool Therefore, the gamemode would have to have the forge completely disabled. Very Happy

As for the challenge, im going to do ya all one better, or to be more precise, two better. Very Happy

First Challenge: No mining resources, but there is no limitation on build(im working on this right now)
Second Challenge: Scavenger + No mining resources

Im pretty sure that the first is doable, itll just take a bit of doing, but if you can achieve the second challenge, you will truly be a master of starscape.

I think i should get a jedi for thinking this up Smile , Starscape Junkie
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by "no mining resources" do you mean, no shooting at asteroids? No worm nodes? No grav beam on your ship? No picking up anything but equipment? What exactly is the challenge?

Also, building a devastator wouldn't qualify you for the scavenger challenge, because you'd have to build it. It might show up the same on the high score list (except uh, you'd have to either play on easy, or beat zones 1-2 in a default runabout) but it still wouldn't count.
starscape junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No picking up anything but equipment and data nodes. This means you have a very limited amount of minerals from reclaiming your equip. Basically, the number in the status screen for Resources mined has to be zero(or very close, i can understand how a few minerals may get by)

The basis behind the first idea is that you are allowed to improve your ship, but it will become very challenging with so few minerals.

The basis of the second was making an already hard task even harder.

And my point was, at the current state of the game, i could go easy, build myself a devestator hull, without using the prowler, and it would say i built only one ship. I could make it look like i did the challenge when i really had broke the most important rule. Just Sayin'.

Halfway through zone one, one blaster 2, one shield 1, and the aegis is fully turret 1-d, Starscape Junkie
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lothar wrote:
I was going to make the "link the board to the high score table" suggestion, actually...
Yeah, I wonder what the best way to link customer to board member would be? I could do it fairly easily by default by using the email address, but your email would have to match that of your customer account.
Lothar wrote:
maybe just add another column to the table that's normally blank, and then fill in links for games that get written about in the forum...

?? You've lost me a bit there?
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, I see... you wanted to link the user names on the board to the customer names on the high score tables... hmmm...

I thought you meant, put a link in the high score table for any stories that were written on the forum. That's a little different...

Quote:
I could make it look like i did the challenge

Yes, that's true -- but then, I could go out and build only one devastator, AND build all my own equipment and claim I played a scavenger game in a prowler. Or, hell, I could use photoshop to modify someone else's screenshot, and then say "but the score was just a little below the high score I already have on the list, so it won't show up..."

But then, what does that accomplish? You brag about a fake accomplishment on the forum, and everyone gives you props for something you never did. Aren't you special? Or, more likely, when it comes down to describing the game, you make some mistakes and you get found out (if you've ever played Nethack, see, for example, the cheap plastic imitation of an ascension post by VCC+5 and the response by Quietust.) When people have developed a level of absolute mastery at a game, and then someone else tries to pretend they have that same level of mastery, it's more obvious than you'd think.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's truly sad the amount of hacking that goes on in modern games, the result being you make a perfectly playable game no fun whatsoever; why??

There's loads of posts in the highscore section over at the shmups.com forum, yet I'm certain the people who frequent shmups.com would never dream of posting bogus scores; it just wouldn't be gentlemanly (or ladylike Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: