FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Ad Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Ever get bored when posting a rhetorical(not-needing-replies) post and just decide to add a poll for fun?  

The positioning of the objects is very suggestive.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
We all know that JJ causes peculiar eroticies in others, having her in an ad was a bad idea.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
You generally find people less-sexy when they're pointing a gun at your head, hence the third making it.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
The positioning does kind of get you thinking...
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Wait a minute! These options all have something to do with the subject, and nothing to do with the poll question! That's cheating!
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Added by Fost: There's nothing sexually explicit about any of this
72%
 72%  [ 21 ]

Total Votes : 29  

Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tyrian is the other game Starscape gets compared to a lot, as is Starcontrol. Cosmic Pirates on the Amiga was another one, but none of us ever played it and we've had trouble tracking it down.

Regarding avatars, if anyone has any requests (preferably game - comic - or animation related) then feel free to post (there may already be a thread, if not, feel free to start a new one). I'm adding new ones all the time. The custom avatars things is a purely evil decision on my part (I get really annoyed by ropey looking avatars, or ones that take about 5 hours to download or are linked offsite and don't exist half the time). I like to keep it all pretty - I'm mean, I know Twisted Evil
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, perhaps, it's a cultural thing... it's "indecent", and you'd never see a "proper lady" in such a manner. I'd point out network TV, but you don't have that in the UK... It's not horrificly explicit, but it's more suggestive than some people find appropriate for public display.

If Bud's "rifle" was positioned so that the butt of it rested against his pubic area, that'd be equally suggestive.

The DOA volleyball ads included some rather disgusting pieces, and I'd ask for a comparison if the guys who rejected yours rans some of theirs.

Also, I'm not trying to nit-pick, I'm just trying to give insight on: http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=5002&highlight=#5002
DemonicKitten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooohhh now it makes sense.

what makes sense?

xfighter keeps going off about 2 aspects I wouldn't have noticed and I'm like "dude, leave fost alone". but then he links to that diary thing and I find out why he's pointing these out.

oookaay?

And now I can add that the third ad fost references too has an actual anime character and is probably in the "anime category" and not the "sexually explicit" category. Although you do have a point. But I'm not sure how you could compain to whoever is carrying that ad.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Fighter wrote:
I think, perhaps, it's a cultural thing...

If by that you mean: People in Britain couldn't care less about things being sexually explicit, and Americans can, then I wouldn't know. I still can't find any women in the UK who think anything of these specific ads: I've mailed round 20+ now, and upwards of 40 people, and they all seem to think it's a trick question Very Happy I'd have thought that traditional stereotypes would actually point to it being the opposite way round. Needless to say, nothing is right or wrong and I find it quite interesting - although it's slightly worrying that I don't understand you: Am I likely to seriously offend people in the future without even knowing it?

X-Fighter wrote:
it's "indecent", and you'd never see a "proper lady" in such a manner.

Again I still don't understand you here: both Rin and JJ are fully clothed - at least far more so than you will see people wearing casually in the highstreet. I wouldn't consider a woman indecent or 'not a proper lady' if they were wearing either of those things.

If you hadn't tried to explain yourself so often, I'd honestly think you were just joking with me, I guess we'll just have to disagree on the matter (since I seem to be unable to grasp the concepts you are putting forward)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonicKitten wrote:
But I'm not sure how you could compain to whoever is carrying that ad.

There's no need to, it's their website, so they can put what they want on it. To be honest I appreciate sites that 'quality control' their ad content; they understand their readership and what will work with the site, and if they can avoid those jiggly 'your system clock is out of synch' ads, then it's great. I only mentioned it in the diary because I thought it would be interesting to get some none-UK opinions, as I've yet to talk to anyone in the UK who would give it a second glance. So far all I can fathom is that there's no hard and fast rules: you'd think being clothed from neck to feet would cover any options - but it seems object placement, lighting, pose etc are all factors.

Also, I'm not going to change the pose of Rin, because I'm happy with it artistically -no other reason. I like the lighting, and I like her arms whee they are, it seems natural, and protective of the Aegis; she shouldn't look like she is offering it to you - it's her baby and she wouldn't give it away.
Bobacles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the full-body latex, and that "oiled up" look? Cool

Or, maybe the webhost's girlfriend would kill him, if he put up a pic of someone that could compete with her... Wink
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah. I kind of think you're joking too, except you seem insistent on the subject.

In America, that would not pass the "network censors" for the 3 main TV broadcasting stations... they'd be deemed "lewd" and "tasteless" in a sense, and at the very least, you'd be forced to move the central objects above the waist. It's noteable that during the shows themselves, the producers sometimes manage to slip a few things under the radar, but the ads are much more tightly regulated.

I would think anyone from the US could agree on this point, but as British culture is alot less "victorian" in it's morals, I can understand that this idea might be completely blank to you.(I would support this from comparison on some things sent over on the BBC)

The best example I can give is the fact that, although uniforms are not required, female school children must cover their shoulders, as these are entirely too provocative to be shown. I can see that comming off as completely absurd to alot of people, but at the same time, American society supports things like that.

Fost wrote:
Am I likely to seriously offend people in the future without even knowing it?

I guess you're still young, but, in life, if you're not inadvertantly offending someone, it's because you're not doing anything worthwhile enough to be noticed.(Even if you do everything in a way that's non-offensive, those incapable of doing likewise would be offended by the fact that you're so perfect in this manner, and they're not.)
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonicKitten wrote:
Weeble wrote:
Grrr! Hands off of Pazu! He's my avatar, and I've been here longer. :P Even I'm getting confused. Then again, if we had custom avatars... ooh...

Is that was his name is? I found a tape about this flying ancient city and he was the main character but it was in japanese with no subtitles. I was able to get the gist of the story though.

Sorry, didn't mean to be nasty. Mind you, I think the cat-bus from Totoro (it never gets named so far as I can remember) goes really well with your handle. Anyway, my point here is that you need to see Laputa with subtitles (or dubbed - it was a bit clunkly, but I didn't mind it) so you can understand it. It's so great! A wonderful fairy-tale adventure, suitable for all ages, but not diluted because of it. Apparently there's a Disney dub of it now, with Mark Hamill as Muska. (Can we get a Muska avatar?)

Actually, on the subject of avatars, I'd like to see any of the following:
  • Some of the cast of Treasure's Gunstar Heroes
  • Anybody from Shining in the Darkness or Shining Force I & II
  • Puggsy, or one of the Raccoons from the same game
  • Wiz and Liz
  • Repton
  • Dizzy and the Yolk Folk
  • Marina from Mischief Makers (I never did get that single last star or whatever by defeating Cerberus Alpha without taking a hit.)
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should watch everything Studio Ghibli ever made, they are all fantastic stories and beautifully animated. I think most can be found on amazon these days.

Laputa (aka Castle In The Sky)
Princess Mononoko
My Neighbour Totorro
Porco Rosso
Nausicaa
Spirited Away
Grave of the fireflies (good, but extremely sad)
Whisper of the heart
Only Yesterday
The cat returns
Kiki's delivery service
Pom Poko
LUPIN III - The Castle of Cagliostro
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. For Avatars, how about some people from Green Legend Ran (especially the bishops!), Iria picks, and Trieze from Gundam Wing(I find it odd that he's somehow managed to go missing from the collection.)

Also, there's 122 avatars already, so we do have some variety.(Even though there's like 4 Evangellion-Shinji people...)

I'm not sure what else would go well with the theme.

And how did this end up in my thread on ads? Razz
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Fighter wrote:
In America, that would not pass the "network censors" for the 3 main TV broadcasting stations... they'd be deemed "lewd" and "tasteless"

but: I've seen more revealing outfits on Star Trek? and surely that is shown at any time on US tv? and I still don't get why you think it's tastless - but I guess we're just worlds apart on that issue (I'd genuinely like to understand, but perhaps I'm not so easily shocked as yourself. Maybe I'm just numb to it all these days, so maybe I'll never comprehend)

Can I just ask, for the sake of clarity - how old are you? because I'd seen more shocking things at the age of ten than a cartoon girl in a boiler suit.

X-Fighter wrote:
The best example I can give is the fact that, although uniforms are not required, female school children must cover their shoulders

Someone please tell me this is not true? Do you mean in reality? or on tv? because I seem to recall seeing quite a few girls with their shoulders revealed Shocked (the dirty harlots! Very Happy ) in US tv school based soaps (Beverly Hills 90210?). I'm sure you're just pulling my leg! I'm onto you my friend Very Happy

I mean, isn't Baywatch a US program? That used to show at 6pm in the UK, are you telling me it has to be late night on some XXX channel in the US? Seems I know very little about how the US opertaes on such matters, I'd have thought you would be some of the most relaxed people in the world - odd, but good to know...
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relaxed?????

We're the only place in the world that rewards 1 year of hard work with 2 weeks of vacation time.

We have the highest suicide rate in the world.
We have the highest paid psychological experts to in the world.
We have the most stress in the world.

We are so uptight, it's not funny.

Yes, shoulders are considered too much at in-reality schools.

No, TV doesn't reflect reality.

And you can be completely nude, yet in a tasteful position, and it's perfectly fine to show.

Positioning is everything. If you can go around without a stitch of clothing on, but maintain a mature state about it, it works.(It's deemed artistic, and people marvel at how remarkable it is). Of course, very few people can do this, so it's generally illegal to be nude in public here.

Micheal Jackson, dressed head-to-toe, including glove and a hat, yet yanking on his crotch, is considered offensive. Bay Watch involves many scantily clad people, but as there is never anything done to draw attention to "naughty parts", anything wrong with this fact is all in your head.

It doesn't matter how much you wear, it's what you do. Actions speak louder than skin.
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little add-in about StarTrek.

The producers wanted to "get away" with alot of stuff, so they had as many scantily clad female aliens as they could possibly explain in a script. That's a known fact, and part of what got them cancelled. Yet, why they got away with it:

No matter how scantily clad the women were:

-They never "touched" themselves.
-Although male cast often embraced them, males never "coped a feel" or groped them.
-When they flirted with males, the male almost always was looking at the same part of their body while they flirted: Her face/eyes.
-No piece of clothing specifically pointed out either the groin or bossom any differently than the nearby regions of body that were covered(however few they were).
-All "provactive" or "tantalizing" posing and posturing was done with movement of the head or positioning of the arms in places away from the body.

Watch carefully, and you'll see what I mean.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop talking to this guy, I think he has "issues" Smile

Last night I watched StarTrek:Enterprise, it was on prime time an hour before the official "watershed" (anything shown before the watershed must be suitable for children with parental guidance). The captain was suffering from an "alien virus" that made his deep seated attraction to Hoshi and Te'pal manifest itself as hallucinations. These involved scenes of the two in bras and skimpy shorts rubbing ointment over each others bodies whilst oo'ing and ah'ing. Also, Te'pal has a new outfit, an incredibly skin tight one piece suit, every other shot was focused on her bum as she wiggled her way around the ship. Then we cut to the engineer, who is having headaches and muscle stress, to treat him he goes to Te'pal's quarters after his shift and strips off. Te'pal then comes out in skimpy silk pyjamas and they massage each other.

p.s. I love the credits on BayWatch, slow motion shots of silicon breasted women joggling their way down the beach - very tasteful (not).

p.p.s Don't get me started on 7of9 from StarTrek:Voyager - oh man!
Bobacles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just a little add-in about StarTrek...

Quote:
p.p.s Don't get me started on 7of9 from StarTrek:Voyager - oh man!

Hey, you're comparing shows at least 30 years apart. That's not fair! Alot has changed in TV. Unfortunately, I'm too young to really know what did. Rolling Eyes
Also, UPN is not one of the major channels. They do what they want to, and if that involves scantily-clad women, so be it.

I remember in high school, that girls were not allowed to completely dress up.(except for the prom, of course.) The dress code allowed pretty much everything else, except bare midriffs, short shorts, and clothing with inappropriate language.

There were the goth girls, too, but the way they dressed didn't turn anyone on. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: