FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Ad Issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Ever get bored when posting a rhetorical(not-needing-replies) post and just decide to add a poll for fun?  

The positioning of the objects is very suggestive.
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
We all know that JJ causes peculiar eroticies in others, having her in an ad was a bad idea.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
You generally find people less-sexy when they're pointing a gun at your head, hence the third making it.
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
The positioning does kind of get you thinking...
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Wait a minute! These options all have something to do with the subject, and nothing to do with the poll question! That's cheating!
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Added by Fost: There's nothing sexually explicit about any of this
72%
 72%  [ 21 ]

Total Votes : 29  

Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
Ooh, nice lighting there.

Thanks! Bit of hand touching up there, which made a change and I really enjoyed doing it. Expect some wallpapers in the secret gallery soon (nothing goes to waste here Wink )
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's sort of irrelevant who it is, but for the sake of argument, say it's two attractive females.

Anyway, the concept is that basically, on both, your attention is immediately drawn to the cross. However, on the first, this places your attention so that you're momentarily staring at an innocous location on the body, and your attention may wander wherever you deem neccessary after that. On the second, this places your attention so that you're momentarily staring at her breasts; although there could be many platonic reasons, such as medical examination, I would think it is obvious how "staring at a woman's breasts" can be contrived as overtly sexual. Likewise, I'd think "staring at a woman's pubic region" could be seen similarly, if not more so.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Fighter wrote:
for the sake of argument, say it's two attractive females.

Ahh, so if they were ugly it would be ok? (joke)

I get your point above, but still don't see how it applies in our case (I'm not trying to argue for or against, I'm just explaining that I still can't see it) .

Neither Rin or JJ is showing any cleavage (not that I would even find cleavage offensive), and the idea that holding something in front of you means it draws attention to your private parts just doesn't hold water for me (In fact I'm pretty sure that this is just silly, otherwise we'd all be suffering from shock any time anyone carried anything heavy about.)
iosh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I am 21 and I don't even see it as being explicent and I am the one who didn't dare watch that old stretching program. But I can see where he is comeing from, you could always have her hold it in her arms but eh I think its fine but I see where some people can have an issue with it. though I see it more of they are looking for such things. just my two cents
DemonicKitten

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lighting on JJ's ad is provocative. The position of the prowler isn't

BTW, check the post date, not the joined date. I thought iosh brought a thread from 2 years ago back. /me stupid stupid stupid*
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonicKitten wrote:
The lighting on JJ's ad is provocative.

Ooh, that's a new one! What do you mean?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr! Hands off of Pazu! He's my avatar, and I've been here longer. Razz Even I'm getting confused. Then again, if we had custom avatars... ooh...
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the themed avatars are kinda cool(except the freaky clown one...

It's amusing to note how few of the avatars are actually used, and how many repetitions there are.

(I've seen atleast 4 sets of duplicates so far!)

Oh, and, um, to be on-topic... well, if you don't *normally* stare at those areas unless you're thinking of that stuff, then anything that brings attention to them is startling, to say the least.

Oh, and I didn't mention the breast highlighting because all 3 of the original images had it to some degree.(And the original question was "why only the first 2?")
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breast highlighting? What do you mean?

Is this a joke?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DemonicKitten wrote:
The lighting on JJ's ad is provocative.

OMG! You're so right. The way the light plays across her nose, just looking at it gives me this strong feeling in... oh, wait. That's not what you mean, is it? Embarassed
X-Fighter
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the choice of shading and highlights(places the light source makes either unusually bright or dark) is a bit unusual... the shadows are fairly normal, but the "shiny" sections are another one of those "attention grabbing" unusuallities. That's the issue I see with the lighting... I don't know if DemonicKitten meant something else, but that was the one I noticed.

Again, though, since this is also on the third("safe") ad, I'm guessing that the ad agency was okay with this... likely because it's more an issue of texture faithfulness than positioning("if they wanna have shiney plastic jumpsuits, so be it!").

Shiney breasts+fun crotch objects==eliciting more sexual thought than cartoon ad characters should
iosh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a suggestion if it works for all at moonpod... You could have her holding it out, like as if to hand it to someone.
and yes I am knew and just didn't bother to get an avatar yet... I can still get one right? anyways also I have yet to play the full version I am short on cash at the moment but soon, yes soon my precious.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Fighter wrote:
Shiney breasts+fun crotch objects==eliciting more sexual thought than cartoon ad characters should

-Ha, I'm glad to hear your opinion, but I still don't get it: Rin is lit from below, by the glowing Aegis, but her chest would have to catch some amount of light no matter where the light was placed- she has breasts after all, maybe not on the Lara Croft scale of things, but they're there.

Apologies, but if I were to take any of the above seriously, then to remain 'strictly pc' I'd have have women, who carry no equipment near their groin area and are always lit from behind - this is just laughable. Compare it to the DOA beach volleyball ads and I don't think we're in the same league of sexiness. (and I didn't have a problem with those)

It's completely hypocritical, since I'm sure any pic I did of Bud with the same 'criteria for being sexually explicit' would not elicit the same reaction.

On another level though - it wouldn't actually bother me if it were sexually explicit, it's just that the characters in Starscape weren't intended to be 'sexy' so I never tried to use them in that way as it would just be silly. That doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy making sexy or provocative characters in the future.

Perhaps I should do a nice 'Starscape team relaxing by the Aegis pool' wallpaper - just to get it out of my system. Kind of like a Starscape swimsuit edition Very Happy - Not sure what Doctor Von Braun could be wearing though... Shocked

Incidentally, other sites we may be using this ad haven't had a problem with it, so I still reckon it's a fluke or something.
DemonicKitten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X Fighter is talking about 2 different attributes of 2 different ads.

Rin and the positioning of the Aegis is not sexual at all to me. There are those what would find it as such.

JJ's lighting is slightly arousing to those suceptable to that sort of lighting with shiney stuff at the right spots. I'm one of them. Embarassed

We should all be applauding Fost's 1337 graphic artistry skillz. Not nitpicking these ads.

YAY FOST!

:clap:

Weeble wrote:
Grrr! Hands off of Pazu! He's my avatar, and I've been here longer. Razz Even I'm getting confused. Then again, if we had custom avatars... ooh...

Is that was his name is? I found a tape about this flying ancient city and he was the main character but it was in japanese with no subtitles. I was able to get the gist of the story though.
iosh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Involving avatars I would rather have vash but eh who wouldn't. by the way frost I think you did a good job too. infact I saw one of the adds which led me to here and now I just can't get enough of it.
In fact I never did discussion forums before. but that is because none of the other ones I have seen really interest me as this does.. Kinda reminds me of a super version of starcon but I know its differant I just love it, more of a cross of starcon and I cannot remember the other games name, you are in side a giant force feild and your a bounty hunter and you have to save your hole univers and yeah if anyone else can remember the games name I would be apriciative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: