FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Best PC games of the year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Best PC games of the year Reply with quote

Gamespy's PC games of the year list is out and I haven't played any of them (apart from HL2+HL2:E1) Sad. I think I need to spend more time actually playing games, rather than just making them Smile

It's impressive to see GalCiv on the list at no.4 - do they count as indies like us? I know they operate their own publishing empire now, but they're still kind of indie I think.

PC Game of the Year
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

PC Top 10 Games of the Year
1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2. The Orange Box
3. BioShock
4. Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar
5. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
6. The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar
7. World in Conflict
8. Crysis
9. Sam & Max: Season 1
10. The Witcher

PC Action Game of the Year
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

PC Adventure of the Year
Sam & Max: Season 1

PC Best Strategy Game of the Year
World in Conflict

PC Expansion of the Year
Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar

PC MMO Game of the Year
The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar

PC Multiplayer Game of the Year
The Orange Box

PC RPG Game of the Year
The Witcher
SethP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Best PC games of the year Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
2. The Orange Box

The cake is a lie!

I've only played the CoD4 demo, but it was possibly the most intense game I've ever played. It didn't hurt that the first time I tried it on the hardest setting -- that was just ridiculous.

Also, I'm a little surprised to see that LOTRO so highly ranked; I haven't heard much about it. Can anyone speak as to what makes it so good?
Slyh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Best PC games of the year Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
2. The Orange Box

This game (box) is censored in germany, for no apparent reason (IMHO)... even if you buy it online, which makes even less sense.

So I didn't buy it. Take this, Valve!!!
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went to look up what the deal is with the German version. Apparently, amongst other things, it replaces the TF2 gibs with springs, hamburgers and rubber chickens. It sounds pretty funny. Here's a post by somebody trying to enable these effects in regular TF2. (I'm not sure I'd recommend trying to follow the instructions, it doesn't sound like they work all the time and some people reported them causing problems.)

http://clancya.org/2007/10/19/howto-enabling-the-low-violence-team-fortress-2-content/
Slyh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem (as far as I understand) is that there is no feedback if the target was hit by your bullet as there is no hit wound or blood. This makes it hard to judge if your aim is correct.

Half-Life 2 - Episode 2 seems to run in low-violence mode, too, which basically removes all gore. Also all bodies vanish after some seconds. (Though I'm not sure if this is always the case or has something to do with low-quality settings in the game.)

But that's not the problem. I'm just not willing to buy a censored game full-price. First of all it's ridiculous to censor a game purchased online as it can not be banned in Germany; only physical media like CDs, DVDs or cassettes can be banned. (Not songs are banned, but only the medium the songs are distributed on. The same is true for games or anything else.)

Secondly, I'm a adult and want to play uncensored (or even banned) games.

Thirdly, the censored(!) Orange Box must not be sold to minors (in stores) in Germany because it has a "above 18" rating. Why do they still sell the game to minors on Steam? Either they should stop selling it altogether as there is no age verification system, or they should sell the uncensored version as it does not make any difference. Both versions games are not allowed to be sold to minors.

Fourth, they could implement an age verification system in Steam. Germans are the second largest group of customers on Steam judging by the number of users which have German language activated in Steam. (I guess most of German users have English language activated, so the number of German costumers is actually a lot bigger.) The costs to implement such a system could easily be justified, I think. (Such a system is not necessary, though, as I stated above.)

The most ugly part about all this is, that there is not the tiniest hint that you are buying a censored version if you buy the Orange Box on Steam. (Only a small (DE) label is added to the box's title in your shopping card. But this label is not explained and could just as well mean that this is a localized version.) Steam is refunding the money you paid if you complain about this, though.

Anyway. I decided to not buy the Orange Box and will not buy any more games on Steam. Ever. Until they release all games uncensored or add an age verification system and sell the games uncensored to adults.
(Did I mention that Bioshock is censored, too?)

Sorry for being off topic again. But all this censoring **** is getting on my nerves.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. You could buy a copy of the Orange Box in another country (like Swiss, Denmark etc.) and play the uncensored game on Steam, even if you are a German customer. Of course this is a lot more expensive than just buying the game directly. Does this make any sense? I think not...
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best PC games of the year Reply with quote

SethP wrote:
Also, I'm a little surprised to see that LOTRO so highly ranked; I haven't heard much about it. Can anyone speak as to what makes it so good?

A friend had it, but soon tired of it. Apparently it was entertaining to visit all those locations from the book, but it didn't take too long to complete that exploration. Game mechanics and UI are very similar to WoW, but not quite as polished. In game landscapes, buildings and art not quite up to WoW standards, but not bad.

I find it a bit suspicious that it never seems to be in the news and they never publish subscriber figures. Although, it did have a smooth launch and doesn't have any major issues (unlike Fury). The big deal (other than the setting) is the ability to take part in pvp playing as a monster. That does sound like a cool idea, but it wasn't working well at launch, maybe they've fixed that by now though.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who care, hes what I think of each of the games in the gamespy list:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - can't really comment as I haven't played it or a demo... war fps's aren't really my thing.
The Orange Box - I'd really love to play this, especially for portal, but again since I haven't, no comment.
BioShock - played the demo, loved it (even though there were a few things that annoyed me, it was awesome).
Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar - tried a demo, seemed rather complicated... which I guess is good if you like that sort of thing, but I probably would have liked it more if I had a manual (I know that one comes with the demo, but alt-tabbing just gets annoying).
World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade - no arguments here, I play WoW for at least a couple of hours a day most days and love it (shammies forever!).
The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar - I'd never leave WoW for another MMO, and while I read its nice, the only thing I can see the license doing is holding it back.
World in Conflict - haven't played, not interested based on what I've read.
Crysis - just downloaded the demo, fun fun fun Smile, might have to buy it sometime.
Sam & Max: Season 1 - I have one of the episodes, and it's funny as hell, but in the later episodes a lot of stuff is reused, still on my "to-get" list.
The Witcher - haven't played.

And here's some I think should be on the list...
Supreme Commander (and expansion) - probably the most fun I've had in an RTS in a while, even when it does slow down to a crawl.
Command & Conquer 3 - probably the second most fun I've had in an RTS in a while.
Colin McRae: DiRT - probably the most fun I've had in a racing game in a while, I'm not sure it deserves to be in the top 10 overall but it's definantly the best racing game.
TES 4: Shivering Isles - I don't know if this counts because it's just an expansion, but its a nice expansion, full of interesting things.

And that's probably it... it's been kind of a slow year for PC gaming (for some of us, anyway).
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: