FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
How would a procedurally-generated side-scroller play?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This immediately made me think of the freeware game, Transdimensional Hellspider.

It's another example of Warning Forever style bosses, different gameplay setup, though. But, overall it's a pretty good study on minimalist procgen. The bosses all 'grow' on a section-by-section basis. If I remember right, each section grows larger when destroyed directly and grows a new pod when chain destroyed.

In my own experience, I'm experimenting with a procgen world for a contest entry game I'm working on. Easy in initial conceptualization but much harder to implement. Still fun to deconstruct concept sodwn to modular pieces, though.[/url]
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting game, I like the minimalist blobby look and freaky music Smile

I think it suffers from one of the problems mentioned earlier in that it doesn't feel so much like the enemy is trying different configurations/tactics as its just getting bigger and harder Smile Although they do seem to slow down as they get bigger so you can get behind them more easily, but then some can fire backwards anyway.

I suppose you could build a full game around this kind of simple growth idea as long as it worked like Starscape where there is always the option to go back into previously cleared areas of the game and 'grind' up extra levels, ships or equipment. As long as the player can choose to get harder slightly faster than the enemies can get tougher then you won't get a frustrated player.
Code_Crank_Call

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in my experience, the goal was mostly to keep up with the difficulty curve for as long as possible. Though, yes, the random is sort of... well... random. There aren't any guides that delineate the procedural generation into divergent paths. It's quite the conundrum, one I'm actually mulling over at this very moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: