FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Windows XP, the best OS in a Windows series, people say ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Windows XP, the best OS in a Windows series, people say ... Reply with quote

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1012749

http://www.ghacks.net/forum/microsoft-windows/windows-xp-2010-a-119/

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091025181258AASg7xi

Yeap ... Windows XP with SP2 or SP3, rules! Hey Billy, from MS, please don't change anything dude ... k?
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, there's enough fo your XP-love in your other thread. Also, two of your links don't really support your case - the first one hasn't been updated since a few months before 7 came out, and the third in the third link, the best answer chosen supports 7.

Here's the thing: yes, XP is a great OS (by Windows standards). Yes, Vista is a steaming turd. But 7 is a fine beast; it's what Vista should have been. If you don't need all the fluff then there's no need to upgrade from XP. But there are a few things I quite like: the upgraded taskbar, jump lists, seamless XP emulation (once you have a program set up for it, the onl7 way you'll know it's running in a virtual environment is that it uses XP chrome, not 7), resizing windows by dragging them to the edges of the screen (and minimising everything else by shaking it), and a bunch of others.

Also pretty important: gamers are going to have to upgrade eventually, there are more and more games coming which require DirectX 10, which isn't available for XP. I've already got a couple of games which do (Shattered Horizon - pretty fun flying around but Australian servers are deserted most of the time, and Just Cause 2 - definitely fun going around blowing stuff up, would be awesome if I could do so with a friend), and one game which uses DirectX 11 (Dirt 2 - it also has a DX9 mode, but DX11 looks better).

In short: before 7 came out, you unwavering devotion to XP wouldn't be questioned. But now there's a version of Windows just as good as XP, if not better. I blame peoples' resistance to change... someone I know only upgraded from Windows ME in 2006, and that was only because he got some new hardware which only had XP drivers available. And hopefully we all know what a dog ME (the Mistake Edition) was.
codergames

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, the first link:

Code:
by ♥AngelHeart♥ on July 15th, 2009
♥AngelHeart♥

I have XP PRO and love it. I do not want anything to do with Vista or Windows 7.

Seems that you just haven't read all the comments. I'm not familiar with the games you mentioned, but I'm an old school, like old games, simple, not too shiny, not too difficult, I wouldn't want to get an epilepsy attack or something ... games are supposed to be fun, things you do in your spare time, casual stuff Smile

Personally, I don't see any features you mentioned useful. I'm doing everything in XP: programming, drawing, modeling, composing music, playing games, etc. When I'm not using XP, I'm using Ubuntu, which does everything as XP, just with less resources used and 2 times faster on the same configuration.
Slyh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konedima wrote:
Here's the thing: yes, XP is a great OS (by Windows standards). Yes, Vista is a steaming turd. But 7 is a fine beast; it's what Vista should have been. If you don't need all the fluff then there's no need to upgrade from XP. But there are a few things I quite like: the upgraded taskbar, jump lists, seamless XP emulation (once you have a program set up for it, the onl7 way you'll know it's running in a virtual environment is that it uses XP chrome, not 7), resizing windows by dragging them to the edges of the screen (and minimising everything else by shaking it), and a bunch of others.

• Maximized windows can not be moved to another screen without unmaximizing them first.
  • When dragging a file over the taskbar and wait a second to let Windows show the application's window, then realizing it was the wrong one and moving it over another application's name, Windows will no longer do anything. Bug since Win95.
  • Sometimes Windows opens a window, puts it in front of the previously focused one but does not actually give it focus, so any input will be sent to the no longer visible window.
  • In Aero for most color schemes the focused window is indistinguishable from the non-focused windows
  • Focus Handling overall still does not work properly.
  • Windows still opens and focuses popup windows when the user is currently typing. It's really great when you accept or cancel some operation, only because you were typing a text and Windows allowed some application to open a popup window. And most of the time you do not even know what application that was and what operation you accepted or canceled, or whether you accepted or canceled it. Even Firefox has a countdown timer for certain dialogs to prevent accidental operations.
  • Windows still allows applications to steal the focus whenever it pleases them. And if you start an application that takes some seconds to start, Windows still gives that application the focus as soon as it finished launching, even though decided to do something else in the mean time. (Same problem as above, basically.)
  • If you have more than one version of an application installed (let's say Blender) and you want to pick one in the "Open With..." dialog, they are indistinguishable, as Windows only show the application's name or file name. You have to guess which "Blender" application is which.
  • Task-switching using Win+Tab does not work the same as Alt+Tab. (You have to hit it at least twice.)
  • Using Win+D to minimize all windows and hitting Win+D again immediately afterwards to show them again will change the order of the windows and usually focus another window as was focused before. (I could not reproduce this problem now, but have to deal with this regularly.)
  • If you created or changed a file some seconds/minutes ago, it's not possible to determine the exact time it was created/changed on with Windows Explorer. It only shows something like "Changed: 3 minutes ago". You'll have to open a command prompt or use a third party tool to show the exact creation/change time.
  • The GUI to adjust your desktop wallpaper is the biggest **** I've ever seen. It's not even possible to add pictures from more than one folder to a wallpaper animation. Unless you put them in one of the Windows folders (c:\windows\web\wallaper -- great!) or add them to the pre-defined picture libary (also great).
  • You can not delete all recently used files from the Jump List of an application in the taskbar. It's not possible (through GUI) to deactive the recently used files feature for certain applications! Maybe it is using a registry hack.
  • Windows Explorer is ****. It can no longer show stuff Windows Explorer could since Win95:
  • The status bar still exists, but it only shows a big effing nothingness. It used to show how many files are selected, how many files are in the current directory, how much space is available on the current drive. Now it shows how many files are in the current directory or how mony are selected. To find out how much space is left on the drive, you actually have to right-click on the drive or go to the "Computer" note.
  • The new file search is a pain in the *** to use and has less features than the previous File Search (that was not integrated into Windows Explorer). Not that it was particularly good in Win95 et al; but they managed to render it even more useless. I now usually use third party tools.
  • Why is there no button to just move one directory up? Do I really have to use the bread crumbs to navigate up the directory hierarchy or use the keyboard?
  • When showing files as symbols (so that picture and movie previews are shown as symbol), Windows sometimes decides to go postal and use up one CPU core for an infinite time -- although all previews are there and there are only 5 fricking images in the directory. Sometimes it stops doing this after some minutes, but most of the time you'll have to kill the process if you actually want to use your CPU to do stuff.
  • The favorite folders are now part of the regular folder pane and not a menu item (WinXP) or part of the folder pane but separated from the actual folders (Vista). So whenever you want to access your favorite folders, you'll have to scroll to the top of the folder pane to access them. Great UI design, thank you. (The same is true for libraries, the cool new (and basically useless) feature of Windows Explorer.)
  • Ever tried to copy or create a huge file? Let's say 500GB in size. Good look with that, as Windows will use up _all_ memory, swap all applications into virtual memory and render your system completely unusable for the time it takes to create the file. Of course neither Windows taskmanager nor Sysinternal's Process Explorer will show you where the memory went, it just disappears.
  • I could go on. :)

Windows XP was good. It may have had its bugs and strangenesses, but I never felt I was constrained by its user interface. Since I installed Windows 7 I feel like this a lot. Actually I'd prefer Windows Vista over Windows 7 right now. My new computer at work that I got some weeks after I had installed Windows 7 at home has Windows Vista installed. And it's a lot better to work with than Windows 7 (and XP).
(My opinion of Windows 7 did not derive from prejudice. I was an early adopter and really wanted to like it.)
codergames

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu is better than all, in terms of resources. I like the speed. We all understand the necessity for hardware industry to continue working, as its the part of the backbone supporting the economy, but I don't want to purchase new hardware just to get the same speed under Windows 7 as under XP. Money doesn't grow on trees for me.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="codergames"]Not really, the first link:

Code:
by ♥AngelHeart♥ on July 15th, 2009
♥AngelHeart♥

I have XP PRO and love it. I do not want anything to do with Vista or Windows 7.

The comment is from July 15 2009 - since 7 was released in retail October 22, it can't really be considered valid (they MAY have used a 7 beta or RC, though it doesn't sound like it considering how much they hate it, but those still shouldn't be used to make a determination of the final product).

Like most things, don't knock it 'til you've tried it. Also like most things, it's entirely up to personal preference. One can debate the technical merits and produce lists of good things and bad things about each, and generally conduct flame wars until the cows come home.

It doesn't REALLY matter. If you're happy with what you're using, good for you! It doesn't matter what other people think, as long as you're happy with something, that's what's important.

That being said, if you're producing games that you intend to sell to a large audience, you really should test on the widest variety of computers and operating systems you can find, regardless of how you feel about them - other people may and entirely likely will feel different, so you should cater to them (don't say "Windows 7 sucks, XP is better, it doesn't work on 7 and if you use it bad luck", say "I haven't had a chance to test it on 7 but I'd sure like some help with that").

That being said, hopefully we can all agree on the real problem. Join the front, and let us purge the Macs, scourge of the world, from existance!
codergames

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I, like totally, agree with you man! People should use what they're comfortable with. I remember the days when I used 98 and was not willing to go to 2000 ... and eventually, as time passed by, skipped 2000 and went straight to XP.

There was no need back then, but you're right, for game development, its a must. Although I'm not looking for big sales, just to get me by. My intention was not to flame, so sorry about that! Eventually, even the most opposed to a change, will change and accept Windows 7. Maybe to wait a little more, with all those service packs in development.

I just don't want to change things, I got it all setup and configured, Apache web server, MySQL, SQLite, PostgreSQL, C++, PHP, Perl, a bunch of modules, Code::Blocks, etc. I'd spend like 2-3 days moving to Windows 7.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergames wrote:
I'd spend like 2-3 days moving to Windows 7.

It took me a week before everything settled down and I could get on with things properly Sad

To be fair, I did get a new computer at the same time too. What a pain!

It took me about 2 weeks to get used to win7, after turning off a few of the bells and whistles it looks and feels like winXP now anyway.

I suppose the only real problem with my old favourite winXP, is that Microsoft will stop supporting it in 2014

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173

I would guess that before then all the driver writers will be more focused on win7. So I suppose it comes down to what you actually need to run on a daily basis and if it will work on XP well.
codergames

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 ... that's far away, first we have to survive 2012 Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: