FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
The Installer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Word Pirate Support View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: The Installer Reply with quote

I downloaded the Pirate Princess installer from the moonpod.com domain (not a 3rd party mirror) via the play now button. Using Windows XP SP3.

However, I did not install the game right away. In fact I still haven't installed it. But each time I boot up windows, I am asked if I would like to run the install program for this game. I have never run the executable because this seems highly suspicious. Instead I deleted it the file, and sure enough, the prompts have now disappeared when I boot windows.

So my question is, is this behavior intentional, and if so, what do I need to do to fully remove all traces of this program from my computer? Perhaps if it is something simple to remove I may give the game a go, knowing I can remove it later on.

However, my experience so far is that this game has some draconian DRM measures and is not worth the time to contaminate my computer with this malware.

I did not register this account simply to complain about DRM. This is a legitimate concern.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen that behaviour, I have a winXPSP3 machine, I have no idea how that is happening.

At a guess, it could have ended up in your startup folder, not sure how that would be possible.

There are only three ways to get something to auto-start that I am aware of.

1. the startup folder - click start, click programs, click startup and see if it mentions the program in that list. If it does then just delete it.

2. registering the program for auto-start - click start, click run, type \"msconfig\" and press return. An app pops up called \"system configuration utility\". Click the startup tab. You now get a list of apps that will auto-start, look through the list and see if any of the items refer to the game. If so, then untick the box for it.

3. some kind of virus or wierd 3rd party utility you've installed that thinks it is trying to help you. Make sure you scan your system, I'd recommend Avast, it's free.

I would love to know how your system has ended up auto-starting the game, every PC is different and they can end up with all kinds of wierd problems and incompatibilities so it can be hard to nail it down.

Let me know what you find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Word Pirate Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: