FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Mr Robot 2 to-do list =D
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr Robot 2 to-do list =D Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
lifemare wrote:

- Drop the isometric view.

Do you mean have some viewpoint like Mario? Or a separate set of keys for spinning the room about. Currently we don't even build the backs of the rooms so...

Do you even have backs on the boxes? (not that that wouldn't be hard to change, just mirror the fronts.)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr Robot 2 to-do list =D Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
Do you even have backs on the boxes? (not that that wouldn't be hard to change, just mirror the fronts.)

I think most stuff would work because it has to be spinnable in the editor anyway. There's other major issues though. Shadowing would have been lovely for making the whole thing look a bit more 3D. Shame we weren't using OGRE back then.
SethP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mr Robot 2 to-do list =D Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
icarus wrote:

I think most stuff would work because it has to be spinnable in the editor anyway. There's other major issues though. Shadowing would have been lovely for making the whole thing look a bit more 3D. Shame we weren't using OGRE back then.

Have you guys switched over to using OGRE then? I remember hearing some discussion about it a while back, but I don't quite remember what became of it.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm sick of rewriting all the tools for every game - don't ask, I always have good intentions, but it never works out as planned. So we're trying to use middleware wherever it makes sense. Here's the list:

ogre - rendering
fmod - audio
cegui - user interface
stl/boost - containers
lua - scripting
ois - input
sqlite - database
unittest++ - code testing
visual leak detector - leak detection
wxwidgets - utilities like the interface layout editor

It causes more problems than it solves initially, but I knew that. The pay off should come in reliability, cross platform, compatibility and future proofing - but we shall see. Ogre is overkill for this 2d game, but I'd rather go through the pain of it once and then have it consistent for all games no matter how complex or simple.
lifemare

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr Robot 2 to-do list =D Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Do you mean have some viewpoint like Mario? Or a separate set of keys for spinning the room about.

mario? lol nothing against the nintendo fans, though i've never played anything but pc games, so i don't have any fond memories of it. But platforms was never my idea of fun, you wouldn't catch me suggesting it Razz
So yeah, just meant adding camera controls. You know, the usual stuff, rotating, panning, zooming, birds-eye, first-person if you want...

Fost wrote:
Currently we don't even build the backs of the rooms so...

Aw... you just ruined the illusion for me, now it's like seeing the guys moving the muppets behind the stage. lol
Well, i guess i wasn't very considerate of your work on my suggestions. All of them (except maybe the last few) take for granted the possibility of you having the time or will to do a sequel, since they would all demand a lot of work. Sad sorry about that.
Personally i can't wait to spend my bucks on it, if it ever happens. but i won't be disappointed if this thread goes in the bin, because even if it's the exact same game with a different storyline and puzzles, it will still RULE. Very Happy
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr Robot 2 to-do list =D Reply with quote

lifemare wrote:
So yeah, just meant adding camera controls. You know, the usual stuff, rotating, panning, zooming, birds-eye, first-person if you want...

Hmm - here's what I think - you're right BUT it wouldn't work. More controls is not a good thing (necessarily). Some way to illustrate the 3D nature of the game a bit more would definitely help though.

It's just has to be automatic, or at least VERY easy to use. It's certainly possible to add controls to change the angle of the room and zoom level as it stands now (especially if you don't allow the user to turn 180 Smile ) It's just most users seem to have enough problems with the control of the character as it is (LONG discussion).

hmm, thinking on this more...
wizard924

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mr Robot 2 to-do list =D Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
lifemare wrote:

Hmm - here's what I think - you're right BUT it wouldn't work. More controls is not a good thing (necessarily). Some way to illustrate the 3D nature of the game a bit more would definitely help though.

It's just has to be automatic, or at least VERY easy to use. It's certainly possible to add controls to change the angle of the room and zoom level as it stands now (especially if you don't allow the user to turn 180 Smile ) It's just most users seem to have enough problems with the control of the character as it is (LONG discussion).

hmm, thinking on this more...

What about just creating rooms that don't need the extra camera usage? However, it will just lower the difficultly of the game, but at the same time not a lot of people will frustrate over the lost concept.

On a side note, in the future for the Hacking part, how about something that adds to the flavor, like timed hits, or the ability to force hack (Like a level rating for each area of hacking and if the party's combined level is double or whatever the cost is the hack is automaticly done)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Mr.Robot All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: