FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Convince Fost: PS3 or 360?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SethP wrote:
Well, I found something that, if it isn't points for the PS3, is still DAMN cool:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/THE_EYE_OF_JUDGMENT

"At sony we don't care about gimmicks"
SethP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
SethP wrote:
Well, I found something that, if it isn't points for the PS3, is still DAMN cool:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Games/THE_EYE_OF_JUDGMENT

"At sony we don't care about gimmicks"

Ha. But even you, master troll, must admit that this particular gimmick is kinda cool. Probably not cool enough to justify the price tag, but still cool to see/use maybe once or twice.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was the "Convince Poo Bear" thread then I think he'd be adding a couple of points for that. I'm a little more aware of the inbuilt mechanic of pumping more cash from you to buy extra sets that all card games have (Look what arrived at Moonpod HQ this morning- a new set of Magic cards! How much was that Mark?)

Would love to try this out though!!
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its still a gimmick.
Agrajag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with Eye of Judgement is that it's completely playable without the PS3. You can just buy, trade, and play with the cards like any other game. So I'm skeptical as to how many people will pay for the Eye of Judgement PS3 disc and the Playstation Eye (and a PS3) to get what is basically a computer that keeps score for you. I feel like the added visuals, while cool, will lose their novelty quickly. I enjoy Magic well enough without having a screen depicting 3d images of all my characters, I'm sure most CCGers feel the same.

Though, if it actually works well (and can't be easily hacked or fooled by custom made cards) it's pretty impressive from a technical standpoint.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it doesn't make sense to me. If the game is totally playable just with cards then the PS3 is just adding graphical icing to an already functional game. The only benefit could be access to online multiplayer, I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere but I assume it supports it. It's something like $100 for the basic game/camera then there's all the booster decks on top.

If you want to play a CCG then save money and buy some magic cards, my local gaming shop lets you buy individual commons for 20c each and rares for a $1 i.e. you don't even have to buy booster packs and take a gamble on what cards you get, you can pick and choose. Then of course there's magic online too if you need that. If you're really hardcore you can enter a tournament and win cash, some top players earn $50k-$200k.

Bah! I've just got my new 10th edition magic cards and after some careful tweaking won 3 out of 4 matches last night - mwahahahahhahaa!
Rup

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
The only benefit could be access to online multiplayer, I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere but I assume it supports it.

Yesterday's Penny Arcade was about that:
Quote:
Online play, if you're curious, involves registering a legal thirty card deck to the system. When playing a distant opponent, the game knows your deck and "draws" your hand virtually, telling you what valid cards to pull. That's their system, and it's a little weird, but playing cards against someone you can't see in another country might be the ultimate cheating scenario.
SethP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
Bah! I've just got my new 10th edition magic cards and after some careful tweaking won 3 out of 4 matches last night - mwahahahahhahaa!

I've personally been very disappointed with Magic ever since 8th edition came out. They made such a radical change to the gameplay with things like equipment; it used to be that you didn't have to rush out and buy new cards with every new edition and you still stood a chance of winning. Ever since 8th edition, my favorite deck has been beaten handily no matter how much I tweak it (and it used to be a very strong deck. Well, if you had an Urza's Armor I was pretty screwed, but other than that it was good).
Inane

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I still have hundreds of 5th and 6th edition magic cards... None of my siblings ever wanted to fight me, though, so I never got to play Rolling Eyes.

I still remember, I had one of them uberstrong 6/6 cards, and then they came out with a 7/7 card and I was like "****!"
SethP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inane wrote:
Ahh, I still have hundreds of 5th and 6th edition magic cards... None of my siblings ever wanted to fight me, though, so I never got to play Rolling Eyes.

I still remember, I had one of them uberstrong 6/6 cards, and then they came out with a 7/7 card and I was like "****!"

Haha, yeah, I know EXACTLY how you feel.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with online multiplayer games I gave up trying to play publicly as I eventually found it very difficult to get anywhere and the older you get the more embarrassing it is to get beaten by a 13yr old Smile Is that because of newer more powerful cards or my own lack of ability?

Luckily I have a local group of aging magic players and we always play together. Interestingly, we'll actually comment on any new cards that seem over-powerful and if everyone agrees then it gets banned or the particular rules tweaked.
DaiShiva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I loved System Shock 2, and BioShock looks to capture that same sense of immersion (ie: being scared) after playing through the demo yesterday (360).
HunterXI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mass Effect is the only reason you need. Xbox 360 FTW.

(And there's also that Halo thing, too)

Not just that, though. Crackdown and Gears are great games. And Bioshock just got a 9.7 from IGN. Plus tons of other good games. The PS3 is a potentially cool system, but it doesn't yet have any killer apps.

(Oh, and with regards to Red Rings of Death, Microsoft now covers those for free for 3 years)
Siber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played the Bioshock demo, I'm not blown away. It looks like it'd be fun, and the videos of the later game look more impressive, but to me the demo is nothing real special. Maybe I'm just jaded when it comes to games? Meh. I've never been a fan of games that are overly dark like that. Visually, not tonewise.

I'll just go back to waiting for Halo 3 I guess.

One demo I've recently played that was a lot of fun was Stranglehold. Normal isn't enough to really get it, but on hard or hard-boiled, the game really does get going. Gotta really learn how to take cover and stuff. It's a good game, and I may be buying it soon.
KingAl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather the BioShock demo is a rather poor reflection of the game, being much more linear. For a game with such a focus on atmosphere, a demo really doesn't do it justice. The aesthetic is nice, anyway, and if it's anything like System Shock...

Honestly, I'm getting a bad vibe from the entire PS3 campaign - unless they pull a rabbit out of a hat, from my amateur perspective it looks doomed to failure. Whatever else happens, at the moment it looks like the 360 is the most likely platform to be spammed with Disney games, if that's a major deciding factor for you. Wink
I hear the 360 has better implemented internet connectivity, but that's not based on any experience of my own. If you're planning on getting a Blu-ray player, then that's an obvious plus of the PS3 - I'm not sure how its reproduction compares to dedicated players, but since it's essentially demoing the technology you'd think Sony wouldn't want to be too cheap about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: