Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Location: Sheffield, UK
|Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:19 pm Post subject: MrRobot and graphics cards
|MrRobot has a lot of crazy DirectX9c shader funkadelic madness in it that can upset graphics cards of yesteryear. Especially if these elderly gentlemen haven't been keeping up to date with their drivers (the senile old rascals!).
Anyway, this webpage here tries to talk you through it:
Bear in mind you need something probably within 2-3 years old with about 32MB of video ram onboard. All you crazy technophiles with SLI'd 3DFX cards, they just ain't cool anymore, really! Nothing amazing though mind, just a reasonable card should do. I mean, check this out - it works on an Intel Extreme GMA900 (or better). If you know anything about graphics cards you'll know that's pretty amazing (no offense all you Extreme owners no please don't hurt me ).
Anyway, here's a list of cards we know it works on:
Intel Extreme GMA900 or better.
nVidia Geforce fx 5200, 5500, GF3, GF440Go - or anything better.
Radeon7000, 9000, x850 - or anything better.
Sadly there is bound to be some we have problems with, if you think yours meets the specs and it doesn't work then let us know and we'll check it out. Before posting though, check out that web page I mentioned and make sure you've gone through and checked all the basics.
It definitely doesn't work on Geforce4 MX cards.
p.s. don't say "it works on world of warcraft ok" - do you know some old forgotten cards even got a driver update JUST to add compatibility with WoW - sheesh!
Here's the shorthand for that graphics card problem checklist:
1. run the game full screen, running in a window stresses your system. Yeh, I know, pain in the *** - just try it !
2. lower the resolution using that "alter configuration" shortcut and try selecting "low quality" mode. Ouch, quiet down, I hear you. You didn't like option1 and you certainly don't like option2 - just try it !!
3. get your drivers updated. How sick are you of hearing that? Yes, I know they update them every 5 mins for no good reason. Oh and I don't mean those dodgy non-whql certified ones you found on that "tweakers" website. I mean the real deal proper ones.
4. get the latest version of DirectX. Yes, ok, I know it says you have 9.0c. Thing is, Microsoft, in their wisdom, keep releasing mini-updates and not changing the version number. Do you think DX9c from 2 years ago is the same as one downloaded today? Think again.
5. free us some harddrive space for goodness sake, how do you expect anything to work with a hundred meg free? Get about 500meg free at least.
6. turn off everything else, yes I'm including that virus scanner and instant messaging software you have running. Woh tiger - back! I just mean to give it a try. The more apps you have running at the same time the greater the chance something will interfere.
7. run windows update and make sure you are running with all the latest patches, sound drivers and what not. Pardon? You can't get past Microsoft's windows "genuine advantage" validation page? Ok, I'm not speaking to you anymore!
IF ANY OF THE ABOVE SCARES YOU THEN DON'T DO IT! GO ASK A KNOWLEDGABLE FRIEND OR CHECK OUT STARSCAPE INSTEAD.
Failing all that then drop us a line at supportATmoonpod.com and we'll do our best to help.
p.s. if you follow our guide and then your computer teleports itelf into outer space with a bang then DON'T BLAME US. This is just friendly advice about what to do. PC's come in 500 different flavours so there is no definitive "this will always work" answer. You mess with your own gear at your own risk govner!
Last edited by Poo Bear on Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total