FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Protection schemes
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asuffield wrote:
These people do it for the sheer satisfaction of solving a difficult puzzle. Dissecting somebody else's code, figuring out how it works, and changing it to work differently is a deeply satisfying experience, on a very similar level to what you feel when creating the thing in the first place. Making it hard and intricate does not dissuade them - quite the opposite. It makes it even more satisfying when they finally break it. This is exactly the same thing that sells a large number of games. If it takes them days or weeks to solve, and requires creative approaches, it's just going to attract even more attention and make them try even harder.

Who are we talking about here? Who realistically has that amount of time to throw at a problem they're getting no reward from? How do they pay their bills?
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent a great many hours of my life drawing for no financial recompense. I enjoy the process and get respect and admiration from my peers. The same is true of hobbyist crackers, and indeed for any craft-based hobby. I'm curious to know how much copy-protection hacking is done by hobbyists, how much is done by bootleggers, and how much is done by hobbyists and used by bootleggers.
Rup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeble wrote:
I have spent a great many hours of my life drawing for no financial recompense. I enjoy the process and get respect and admiration from my peers. The same is true of hobbyist crackers, and indeed for any craft-based hobby.

Sure, but you've got something useful to show for your drawing and it's got kudos beyond computer-types.

Back when I was 9 I broke the copy protection on BBC Micro games to give a friend a copy. Twenty years on I can afford to buy games and frankly don't have enough time to invest breaking complex copy protection. I don't think anyone I know would care if I could hack games or not. If I need a quick mental challenge I can do a crossword or a killer sudoku.

I'm not unsympathetic to hacking-for-fun: I've got half-a-dozen partial reverse engineers on my machine at work that I've played with from time to time but there's nothing in it really for me to see them through to the end. The only one that'd be any practical use would be the MS Money 2004 database API so I can do scripted tidy-ups of my data but I can live without that.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's just students, and I can totally understand that. Having to create something and sell it yourself to pay the bills certainly gives you a different outlook on life that many jobs don't give you. As a student, I certainly didn't appreciate the actual act of financial survival in a modern world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: