FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Nintendo Wii
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Wii - Good or bad?  

It rules!
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
It sucks!
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Its ***????
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]

Total Votes : 14  

Author
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so easily fooled by pre rendered trailers because i care about gameplay not graphics. But show me some good gameplay footige and i will wet my pants. EG. Spore, Red Steel
Magnulus

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing about gameplay footage is that you never know how it'll actually play in the hands of yourself. It's really no different from regular graphics demos. You can get a general idea about how it'll work when you get it on your computer, but you can't ever KNOW for sure.

For example, I could be the nay-sayer and say that Spore looks like it has no direction whatsoever and that of course the characters they've created animate well, they've invariably been animated by Will Wright and other Spore engineers. The animals created by some reporter in a video I saw were nothing like the ones Will created. He effectively broke the illusion of realism, and he did it very easily.

So don't tell me gameplay footage isn't possible to fake. I still go gaga over that as well, though.

Also: I don't like the insinuation that I only care about graphics.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if Will is telling the truth than nobody animated the creatures. The animations are created procedurally. The reporter probably made a bad creature that would end up going to way of the dodo if he continued playing. Maybe if you could give me a link to the video i would know what i am talking about.

Also the gameplay video did tell me that i could swordfight by swinging the controller and that i could fire my gun sideways if i wanted to act like a "Gangsta". What i don't know is how responsive the swordfighting is but i assume it is very sensitive watching the way he stoped the swing and curled it around the Yukaza's neck.

Of corse maybe we are thinking of different things when we say gameplay.
What i want in a game is lots of detail and the ability to do anything i could do in real life, and that is what gameplay tralers show me.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nintendo Powerglove looks pretty cool in the commercial, doesn't it?

I know they are procedurally animated. I was saying that it wasn't hard for the reporter to create an animal that would never really have been able to move the way it did in the game. It would have fallen over at once.

I thought balance would be the EASY part of the game to simulate, considering all that other stuff they've managed, but basically if you create a creature with its arms hanging out in front or back in a way that would topple the creature over, it'll just walk around with the arms stretched out, unmoving. It's the same in the Will demos I've seen, only think is that Will perfectly proportions everything, so you can't really notice it that well.

Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZzgHJ2UG1A

All this being said, it's still probably around a year away, and I'm sure this kind of thing will be fixed in the actual product. Also, I just mentioned this to prove a point. Gameplay vids can be "false" as well. It's just a matter of suspending people's disbelief.

The bit you mention about the Yakuza's neck... Was it a video of someone playing it at E3 or was it a gameplay video Nintendo made, ie. a trailer or an advert?

EDIT: Also, if that's what you're looking for in a game, you must be very disillusioned by now. I imagine Sims 2 might be somewhat close to that, but far from really true.

Personally, gameplay can mean so many different things. In games like King Kong, Prince of Persia and the Metal Gear Solid series, I like how they are very tightly directed, giving me a shorter, but much more condensed gameplay experience. There's very rarely a dull moment, and that's simply because they've packed every inch of the game with things to do.
With games like Oblivion, I love the freedom of it. I can go anywhere, do anything (almost) etc, so it's totally the opposite. I've yet to finish any of the Elder Scrolls games, though, because I get tired of them long before I get properly along in the main quests. I have this annoying thing where I can't seem to turn down even one of all the quests people throw at me.
Basically, I like any TYPE of gameplay as long as it's well done.
Anticheese

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will & Maxis are two very well known figures, If they are bullshitting about the capibilities of Spore then I can garuntee both of them will be crippled for life.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never stopped Peter Molyneux Wink
After selling out to M$ for a phat profit i'm sure he's sunning himself on a tropical island somewhere laughing.
No.118

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am anticipating Spore greatly, one of my greatest concerns is that my enjoyment will be highly reliant on what other players have designed.

Forget unbalanced creatures, what I'm worried about is being stuck on the planet of the Six Foot Phalus People.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo Bear wrote:
It never stopped Peter Molyneux Wink

nouthing stops Peter Molyneux. (How do you pronounce his name? Is the X silent?)

And that video only made me want to play spore more.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
How do you pronounce his name?

Molly New

unless you are French, then it's more like Molly Nuh (like the beginning of neuf - 9 in french), with probably the accent on the second to last syllable.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Spore will be as big as the Sims, the reality is it's an RTS with a fairly complex 3d control system, a rather geeky subject matter and with some super cool bells and whistles. Can't see that being massively popular with the Sims crowd. Not that that matters to us, it'll still be an awsome game but not the dawn of a new age (as some people predict).
Magnulus

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly Nuh! Hee hee! It's just too funny to see it written like that.

About the possibility of inappropriate designs, there will be a reporting function that lets you easily report an unsuitable creature, and then the moderators take it from there.

I don't think he's shooting for the Sims crowd here at all. The Sims is much more personally manipulative. You play the sovereign entity of a single household, having a specific and profound effect on the individual people living there. In the Sims, you go through a whole phase where you have varying influence, but ultimately, you're the God of your whole species, not individual beings. These things in mind, I think there's a clear statement there why girls like the Sims and why mostly ( I say MOSTLY) boys will be playing Spore. I don't think it'll turn non-gamers into gamers like Sims did.
Anticheese

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.118 wrote:
While I am anticipating Spore greatly, one of my greatest concerns is that my enjoyment will be highly reliant on what other players have designed.

Forget unbalanced creatures, what I'm worried about is being stuck on the planet of the Six Foot Phalus People.

I'm pretty sure it will be hard to sculpt a creature that looks like a giant penis and yet fills the niche of ubercarnivore or prey.
Magnulus

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet I could do it in five minutes flat.
Anticheese

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..If they did make a 6"2 bulbous fleshtower with 32 mouths in the demonstration vidio from '05...
Magnulus

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention a carebear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: