FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
moonpod, what companies are you guys from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: moonpod, what companies are you guys from? Reply with quote

i think the subject says it all.....
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timeline goes:
Gremlin -> Infogrammes -> Rage

All three went bust (Infogrammes still exists but our studio got shut down) and yet each created a reasonable set of games that made money - just not enough I guess. With mainstream games the costs are so high that unless you are in the top 5% of sales you lose - what a mad house!

The games we worked on are shown here down the right hand side:
http://www.moonpod.com/English/about_mp.php
tysoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh cool, I had a similar problem, allthough we got screwed by our publisher at final QA testing 2 weeks before going gold. they submitted a beta version that was several weeks old and then relesed the worlds worst Xbox game they made inhouse, instead of ours.
seems to be too common these days. I actually left the UK as there weren't any jobs when I came out of university. having similar probs here in the US now.

Anyway, its a great game really like it. I just released my first game after 4 months of hard work. and am half way through a 2md more ambitious one now.

Look forward to seeing what you guys do next Smile
Gravitron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wah?

Oh no, it's true!
My beautiful Rage are defunct, but but but...just several years ago I was complimenting them about how great Expendable and Incoming are and they were happy and said look for the sequel and...and...

VonBraun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infogrames became atari, or were bought by atari, i casn't remember which.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonBraun wrote:
Infogrames became atari, or were bought by atari, i casn't remember which.

Infogrames bought Atari, and now use it as the name they trade under. I think at the time most of their games had been doing pretty badly, and the Infogrames name as a commodity was not worth dirt, so they bought Atari as a name for them to masquerade under.

I kind of feel a little dissapointed by that because for me, it sullies Atari's good name. It's a wise busniess decision though, and Infogrames definitely have a lot of talented people in their development teams.

Atari is dead, we shall not forget their glory...
Gravitron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so that's the reason why Atari became from the good brandname I had known to a fiasco of dung who cannot put a decent game for worth nada (like the T3 online game that went bust or something, I played the mplay demo, was kinda fun, but in no way a retail candidate).

Infogrames also bought microprose and ruined the x-com series, killing the promising and sought after x-com: alliance and putting that lame **** that none buys called x-com: enforcer (a ****** TPS with lots of eyecandy and ziltch for gameplay or design or story).
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping some smart people with loads of money can coerce that license from them. That's a perfect example of a franchise that had a lot going for it but fizzled.
Toren Kanesun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infogrames also acquired Accolade, which really did a number on Toys for Bob, the creators of my FAVORITE space game of all time, Star Control 2. Story goes that they had to sell their half of the StarCon name for one reason or another, so Accolade owned the StarCon name, but the creators owned the universe. Now the Infari (info-atari) refuse to sell the name back, stating that they don't have any plans to use it, but MIGHT at a future time. My stomach turns at the idea of an awful game that sullies StarCon's good name. Sad

Unfortunate that BioWare is stuck under Infari's banner- very good dev house!
DanDanger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt know you guys used to work at rage.

My work history goes something like this:

dmadesign->Gremlin->Infogrames->Rage (scotland)

Though im sure I can remember BMG and Rockstar having a hand in that lot somewhere, couldnt tell you where though Smile
Kythorak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravitron wrote:
Wah?

Oh no, it's true!
My beautiful Rage are defunct, but but but...just several years ago I was complimenting them about how great Expendable and Incoming are and they were happy and said look for the sequel and...and...

Expendable was one of those games you love, but you absolutely -hate- because they're so hard. I have the naff "Lite" version which is basically a demo... need to track down a full version somewhere. Confused
Galenmereth

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting on an Expandable full version right here.

Maybe I should fire it up again?
BlackLiger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

infogrames/neo-atari turns my stomach. I mean come on, now, with SupCom comming out, they STILL won't do a rerelease of Total Annihilation, yet they won't sell the rights either..........
gnat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackLiger wrote:
infogrames/neo-atari turns my stomach. I mean come on, now, with SupCom comming out, they STILL won't do a rerelease of Total Annihilation, yet they won't sell the rights either..........

Remember man, there is still light at the end of the tunnel Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: