FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Linux: Whats your distro?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General View previous topic :: View next topic  

Poll Result
  Whats your favourite Linux distribution?  

Fedora
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Ubuntu
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Mandriva
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
SUSE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Debian
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Gentoo
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Slackware
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Knoppix (Runs off CD, no installation)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Xandros (Said to be the most user-friendly and good for Linux newbies)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
FreeBSD (Not Linux but some people are BSD people)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 13  

Author
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Linux: Whats your distro? Reply with quote

Whats your favourite Linux distribution?

As in:
If you don't have/use Linux: which one most appeals to you?
If you do use Linux: what distro do you use OR if you don't like it which one do you want to use?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to put Fedora, because it's the only one I have experience with using (due to using web servers all the time). I was impressed with the installer for desktop Fedora too. Pretty much if you get a webserver these days, it'll be running Fedora or Redhat (For those who don't know: Redhat was split into a commercial version and the totally free Fedora a while back.)

For that reason, it seems to me to have been moving along pretty nicely, and I'm guessing will have really great support well into the future.
Of course, I'm pretty ignorant of goings on in the world of linux, but Fedora does seem to be pretty popular.

This thread need linking to another one - Gnome or KDE! I'd like to know the answer to that.

Think what linux could be if everyone worked on one distro and windowing system! (apart from a big argument that is!)
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.moonpod.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=12332 oh you mean that thread? (that i just created)
Weeble
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Gentoo installed on my laptop along with XP until the hard-disk died. I slowly stopped using Linux because I needed to use the laptop for playing games; it has a weird graphics card so I couldn't get acceleration to work; there were no drivers to make my cheap wifi pc-card work; I couldn't get some of the special buttons, like mute, to work; and I couldn't get Thunderbird to share its settings between the two installs as happily as I wanted it to.

Of course, none of those things are specific to Gentoo. I like Gentoo in principle, but I think if I were to make much use of it in the future I'd need to figure out how you set up distributed compilation, because it's a bit much to have the computer out of action for hours or days when I need to upgrade the kernel, particularly when I have a much more powerful desktop that could be chopping the time down to a third or less.
OvermindDL1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeBSD. Well, it's not linux, but it is better in my opinion. Smile

Yea, I know, shameless bump of my favorate OS...
colourblindangus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Gentoo for two reasons:

1) completely configurable. I'm one of those people who has to change every option at least once just to see what happens. Gentoo lets me do that on an industrial scale.

2) The documentation. All aspects of Gentoo installation and configuration are very well documented, both officially and on their amazing forums and wiki where you can find easy to follow howtos for everything, written by the users themselves.

Also, slightly offtopic, Starscape works perfectly in linux using Cedega (formally WineX), except with the introduction of the 1.5 patch, the game is now totally unable to save anything. Sad I dont suppose anyone has any experience of this?
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colourblindangus wrote:

Also, slightly offtopic, Starscape works perfectly in linux using Cedega (formally WineX), except with the introduction of the 1.5 patch, the game is now totally unable to save anything. Sad I dont suppose anyone has any experience of this?

Darn, we changed save location to the my documents folder with 1.5 which may have broken Cedega compatibility.
This has caused some hassle even on Windows, Poo Bear has rewritten the save code for use in Mr Robot - I'll get a linux distro installed soon so we can test it, might aswell make sure it's compatible for those who want it. We'll add the save code to Starscape 1.6, but sadly that won't be out until after Mr. Robot is finished - sorry.
Konedima
Grammar Police
Grammar Police

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problem i have with linux (any distro, they all seem to have the same problem) is that its literally impossible to get my wireless network card working
colourblindangus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
I'll get a linux distro installed soon so we can test it, might aswell make sure it's compatible for those who want it. We'll add the save code to Starscape 1.6, but sadly that won't be out until after Mr. Robot is finished - sorry.

I can wait, i can always boot windows for my Starscape fix. Kudos to you guys for even thinking about linux.
Keep up the excellent work Very Happy
HunterXI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knoppix, it's nice to run it off a CD (no hard drive booting for me!).

Wait, isn't Red Hat missing from that list?
Jovan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is, but since it was split into commercial and free, I suppose only Shrike counts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: