FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
My new project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: My new project. Reply with quote

After a year or so break from programming to see what else the world has to offer in terms of careers i have returned once more too my long lived passion of game design and development, that said here is what i have planned:

A Dynamic[or as poobear calls it simulated] Graphics,Combat and Skill System to which i will base a few different game types [all in 1]:
A Fairly Mindless RPG.
An RTS[acctuly 2 different modes, one in the original style and a "pre selected units" Campaign mode.]
And a Settler Mode [this is the one that i am really creating this engine for and i will write up more on this later as it is the most involved]

All of these will use the same base systems with minor changes done to limitations, interaction and skills.

However as i am still in the world of 2d and am doing this project for a number or reasons other then looking nice, so don't expect anything too spectacular[im saying this so that people won't get too excited if it's right up their alley]

As we speak i am only starting the programming, however i am fairly renowned for my "quick development", so i will be sure to post updated whenever i have done anything i want to show off.
Poo Bear
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it, what are you writing it in? BlitzMax sounds impressive, works on PC/Linux/Mac these days and uses a hardware accelerated 2d sprite engine that is supposedly very fast.
Sorrow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was accutly going with old c++ and windows draw, this is my last 2d project, after this im going to learn Opengl and come back and re-do the graphics of this one after i do a few learning projects, but i'll try not get too ahead of myself my ultimate aim is to learn how to make a menu system,script and world generation.[by learn i mean figure it out for myself, most of my programming methods are purly self taught :S kick in the pants hav'n to go and read tutorials for Opengl Sad ]
Sorrow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

due to me being very distracted by an old favorate i havn't made that much progress, however ive made a good atrt with map generation:

Basicly there are 3 diffrent types of terrain:

Rivers
Clusters
Forests

these types arnt realy that specific but rather diffrent methods for generating diffrent things, for exsample you hardly want your Rocks to be just random things here and there you want them in patches, so they cluster.

Rivers start at one point and do a random walk till they hit another wall.

Forest are going to be handled diffrently then clusters because my trees arnt going to be clumps of resources but rather things that the player can walk in so they have to be spaced out.

so far i have only been working on clustering, clustering creates a seires of square block in an area then gose through and fixes all sharing issues and finaly gose arround and makes it all smoth, there will be a total of 13 tile immages per resouce, and i will hopfully leave it available for people to change, or even add there own resource templets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Independent Game Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: