FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Ship Naming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job. Congrats.

Let's see... 44,000 points... that would be about an hour and a half, if I wanted it. How fast can you pick up that many points? I'm not going to take it back, by the way. As fun as it is to be on top, I'd rather play a real game than restore and try to boost my points.
cephas47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, about 3 hours on the total game time, from 19 to 22 hours. I had another ship config I wanted to tinker with anyway. Didn't pan out well, so you see an extra save where it went...blam. Confused

And besides, it appears I have no talent for the survival mode, so I must maintain my claim to fame on Campaign. I will even crack 700k if necessary. Razz

I still concede that Dove's accomplishment is more impressive than any score I post: 0 1 Yes Yes is a mark I'll only dream of, because I always seem to have issues with the zone 1 boss.
Lothar
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cephas47 wrote:
I still concede that Dove's accomplishment is more impressive than any score I post

That's what I told her when I took #1, too... especially knowing it was a scavenger game.
SVMKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BunBun was my favorite ship.
Named from one of my favorite characters at www.sluggy.com.
Couldn't hold well against bosses...but small enemies and large ships?
Oh yeah...with 48 Lvl 3 Nova bombs firing 4 at once...
Death blossom.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVMKnight wrote:

Death blossom.

peace blossom's werd goth cousin
Dove
Starscape Jedi
Starscape Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ship names vary for me, but usually they are animals symbolic of what the ship can do.

Prowlers are "Dove" and "Hawk" for mining and fightning. Avengers are typically "Peclican" and "Falcon" for the same roles. My late-game devastators don't really have a dedicated mining role, but I have "Bear" for a heavy beam-and-bomb combo and "Dragon" for a superiority ship (typically blasters and ions).

Other animal roles are "fly" or "mosquito", for a ship that is in some way underpowered (i.e., during a scavenger game, or if I'm using a runabout for some reason). "Vulture" is a common choice for scavenger games. "Skunk" is a prowler carrying three nova-3's (a dedicated role in some prowler games). I have also used "hedgehog" to indicate a ship which will be carrying shields (uncommon on my ships).

Often my ship name will relate to the conduct I am playing--"highlndr" or "alpha" are what I use for one-ship games. Sometimes my ships are named after scientists or researchers in tech-limited or Xenarch-free games (I remember a "Galileo" in there somewhere...). Also, specific conducts sometimes change the natural roles assigned to ships: during one Xenarch-free game I used "Prudence" for a mining ship (all blasters and bays), "Pride" for a balanced ship, and "Passion" for a ship that was all torps.

I guess overall I build my ships to fill specific roles, so I usually name them something symbolic of the role I intend them to fill.

I do think the restriction to unique, 8 character names is pretty funny. Apart from Starscape, I don't think I've recently had to squeeze any names into 8 characters, something I used to have to do all the time. As best I remember, the whole world stopped worrying about file/pilot/ship/character name lengths sometime back in the mid-90's. Wink
BlackLiger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predator (hit and run, light mining)
Nagnita (uberspeed, twin blasters only)
Shroud (stealthy, good weapons, little cargo space)
Eagle (think god with wings Very Happy)
Wolf Warhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ships were named, from weaker to strong, Creation, Birth and Origin. When a ship got blown to bits I usually reloaded. I often had little choice, since the bomb-rush was my favorite tactic. Not a smart one, but hella effective. This meant I would be stuck in a tiny, defenseless ship in the middle of an enemy horde...
Vector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be naming my ships after mythical creatures.

Prowler: Phoenix
Avenger: Dragon
Devastator: Planned to be named Raven, non-mythical. (Started a new hard-mode game and dont have a Devastator just yet, though)
Cctoide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I normally just had one ship with each different kind of hull, I held on to the one I was using till a better one was available, so I thought very little when it came to naming them.

My first ship was the aptly named Genesis. After that came the Fenrir, which I think is a name of some wolf in some story. After that came the Kalevala, which is the name of a Finnish epic poem. My latest ship, a Devastator, is named Aegis, because when I was naming it I forgot the mothership was already called Aegis... d'oh!
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first ship was named the Helix, it was quickly blasted into a thousand tiny pieces because of my constant errors in judgement regarding the enemy (first playthrough, just getting used to things). Next up was my second try, the Helix II. It was destroyed because of a combination of seriously lucky enemy fire and me running headlong into a rather large asteroid.

I then decided that the name Helix was probably a bad omen and decided to go for a different naming scheme.

My next ship was a devastator named the Miranda. I've always loved that name and it has always seemed to bring me luck in whatever I use it for, so I went with it. This was in Zone 2. The Miranda is still my main ship and I'm on the Zone 5 boss now. She's returned to the Aegis with one health, no nova bombs left, and a hold full of pilfered enemy equipment more times than I can count now.

I decided about halfway through the game, around Zone 3 or 4, that I needed a dedicated mining ship. Its name was the Diana. I like that name, and that's really all the thought I put into it. The Diana is a good ship, although she's outgrown her role as a mining vessel. She's more of a bomb and flee sort of fighter now. I use her when the enemy is in huge swarms and it wouldn't be a good idea to bring in the Miranda (The Miranda is like a flying tank. Shields, six Beam 4s, and four Nova bays. I can usually just sit there and blast away at things.)

Then there was the good ship Avalon, which was lost on the front lines in the battle against the Zone 4 boss because of a stupid, stupid error.

Lastly, there is the Eve. I'm not sure what prompted me to name her the Eve, but I put it in and it seemed to fit. The Eve is an Avenger-class with a level 4 engine and light weaponry. She is my last line of defense. If it gets down to the wire of me losing both the Diana and the Miranda, I know I can always fall back on the Eve to be my little hit and run fighter that can whittle down the enemy until I can fall back for repairs to be made.

That got a little lengthy, but I put a lot of thought into my ship names, being someone who sails a lot in their free time. My own personal sailboat that I built myself is named the Miranda, and the luck applies there too. Only I hope I never have to come into shore with only one health. Smile
bsperan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time I name my ships (or game characters) after either heroes or heroines (movies, anime or games), virtues, or something very powerful and positive. Although, I'm usually rather picky about female names. I prefer when those end with an "a", but I make exceptions now and then.

I named my pilot "Raiden", as in the Thunder God in Mortal Kombat. (Also a tribute to the arcade vertical shooter Raiden Trad.)

Ship names I've used in Starscape include:

* Lenneth - As in Lenneth [Platina] the Valkerie in the awesome PS1 game 'Valkyrie Profile'. Truely one of the best 2D RPG/action games ever created! She took on Loki and the Vanir (the anti-Gods) and kicked their *cough*... you get the idea.

* Sonjia - Again from Mortal Kombat. (And tribute to the heroine in Conan the Barbarian.)

* RAYZEFON - Sort of a tribute to the truely awesome robot "Ra-Xephon" in the anime of the same name.

* Force-X - I wanted to use "Force Multiplier", but there aren't enough characters.

* Cosmic-X - Similar to above. Intended to be "Cosmic Force" or even "Cosmic Multiplier"
tieron_asaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:

a phoenix is a mythical bird that lives for 1000years, catches fire and burns to death, and is then reborn from the ashes (come to think of it that name is oddly appropriate)

a valkyrie is a spirit that comes in the form of a woman clad in armor that collects the souls of great warriors after they die

a leviathan is a big sea monster

You know your mythology, but the Phoenix isn't always a thousand-year bird. To the Japanese the Phoenix or Firebird is a creature who lives until death doth claim them by any means but age, at which point a fledgling is born in their image from their dying ashes.

The Greek Leviathan, specifically, is either a massive serpant or a hugely destructive whale-like creature, depending on who you believe (I would suggest Scylla as a name for a Devastator, being the seabound equivelant to the Hydra, every head severed brings back two more.
tieron_asaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intended ship names:

Stalker - Prowler
Punisher - Avenger
Maxwell - Devastator (Maxwell as in Duo Maxwell, the 'Great Destroyer' to American Gundam fans and 'God of Death' to true Gundam fans)
hair65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: nike shoes and wigs Reply with quote

www.google.com online shopping human hair wigs and nike shoes for discount.wholesale lace front wigs and cheap nike air max shos online.where to buy high quality synthetic wigs and roshe run shoes is a best choice.
human hair wigs
cheap lace front wigs
full lace wigs
lace front wigs
cheap human hair wigs
cheap synthetic wigs
cheap wigs for women
cheap bob wigs
african american wigs cheap
afro wigs cheap
cheap full lace wigs
cheap curly wigs
cheap cosplay wigs
cheap wigs for men
cheap costume wigs
cheap hair extensions

cheap nike shoes
nike air max
nike air max 90
nike air max 90 womens white
white roshes mens
roshes women
cheap air max 90
air max 270 mens
nike air max 1 mens
cheap nikes online
nike sb janoski
nike skateboarding shoes
nike air force one men
nike air force 1 low
black huaraches
nike huarache women
air max 270
air max sale
nike air max sale
air jordan 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Starscape All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: