FAQ Search
Memberlist Usergroups
  Forum Statistics Register
Moonpod Homepage Starscape Information Mr. Robot Information Free Game Downloads Starscape Highscore Table
Cave's new shooter: Ibara
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk View previous topic :: View next topic  
 Author
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Cave's new shooter: Ibara Reply with quote

and I haven't even played Mushihimesama yet Sad

Official site: http://www.cave.co.jp/amvisual/ibara/
Nice Info from NamakoTeam: http://namakoteam.com/news.php?id=33

James

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice. I got Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou for the PS2 yesterday, which is a really nice conversion of one of their best shooters. Not had much of a chance to play it yet, though, due to World of Warcraft having its talons in me.

My current shooter, other than Dodonpachi, is Twinkle Star Sprites on the Saturn (also available on the Dreamcast though with less extras; neither version is horribly expensive*). It's a really clever two player shooter, but done in the style of a versus puzzle game (like Puzzle Bobble, Puyo Puyo or Super Puzzle Fighter).

It's a vertically scrolling shooter with the screen split in two, with one player on each half. You both simultaneously play the game, and by getting chains (blowing up groups of enemies in quick succession) you send more enemies over to the other player's half of the screen.

It's really quite a clever idea, taking the overall structure of a puzzle game but transplanting the mechanics of a shooter into it.

Screenshots here:

http://www.neogeoforlife.com/reviews/twinkle_star_sprites_files/additionalscreenshots.shtml

* And, of course, NeoGeo. But that is horribly expensive.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou is my favourite shooter; both in terms of art direction and gameplay.

We actually did about 1-2 months work on a shmup idea of our own, and the art for that would have been very much inspired by DDPDOJ - a kind of super-deformed colourful look.

In the end, after prototyping work, we decided the art requirements were about one and a half years work for me, so it would take too long. Shame really, because we had some really cool ideas.

Here's some of the initial artwork I did for it:

Super Deformed style enemy tank, and a work in progress player ship.
Darth Dallas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look pretty cool. The tank looks like some elements of it were inspiration for your Battlescape tanks.
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Dallas wrote:
The tank looks like some elements of it were inspiration for your Battlescape tanks.

Yeah definitely - although the Battlescape tanks are of a more realistic proportion and aren't 'chibi' like the ones for the shoot-em-up. They would have been fairly small on screen, but there would have been a lot of them. That's one thing I love about DDPDOJ - they put a lot of ground units on screen, but they are easy one|two shot kills - so you can cut paths through them. There's a real sense of destruction you don't get in shooters where you need to hit all the units loads of times.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to tell you the truth that tank is better than the cerberus
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
to tell you the truth that tank is better than the cerberus

Pah! you always had it in for the Cerberus!

Maybe I should ressurect it - although it would need the fatness taking away, and retexturing - the texture on there is meant to be seen when the model is very small. Then again, last time I looked at Battlescape you couldn't get too close anyway, and the detailed texturing didn't show up so well except at really high res.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Pah! you always had it in for the Cerberus!

it looks to much like a WWI or 40k tank and i despise bolth of them
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree (but of course, I would wouldn't IVery Happy ) since the texturing change. I didn't like it before though for almost the same reason you said - it looked too 'ornamental' like WH40k stuff. I love that, I just think Starscape|Battlescape designs should follow more of a clean look, but that's me. I always liked the overall shape of it.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the new cerberus still looks like a Leman Russ

you could also use that ship in battlescape as air saport
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
well the new cerberus still looks like a Leman Russ

I know - people keep saying this so there must be something there, I just don't see it myself. To me, the only connection has been the wraparound tracks - how this is 'owned' by WH40k I don't know. The very first tanks used by the British in WWI were like that. Anyway, comparisons aside- I know you don't like the design, but we'll have to disagree on that sadly - I'm happy with the design (always was) and since I remade the texturing inline with the Hades, it all fits as far as I'm concerned.

icarus wrote:
you could also use that ship in battlescape as air saport

That's an idea - Poo Bear hasn't gotten round to deciding how air support will be handled yet, but it's defintiely something to consider. Might be nice to have some fighter ships that follow the design style of Starscape's ships though.

Last edited by Fost on Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fost wrote:
Might be nice to have some fighter ships that follow the design style of Starscape's ships though.

not really
the starscape ships are starfighters and not suited for atnospheric combat (no at all airodynamic)
Fost
Pod Team
Pod Team

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say I'd be dropping them into the game as they are - just that I've been thinking of styling them along the same lines - I quite like that idea. You'll have to excuse me if I'm rarely swayed by people's opinions on art - I've spent a lifetime hearing conflicting arguments, as everyone seems to have an opinion on art, so it's hard to know who's opinion to trust other than my own (Hey, I'm not always right, but at least I get the job done Very Happy)

It's odd that you think they are not aerodynamic just because they are space ships - they look aerodynamic. Indeed, the runabout you start with is an all atmosphere vehicle (It's not supposed to be used for combat, it's a science vessel used for gathering field data a bit like the shuttles in Star Trek). Later vehicles are of course JJ custom vehicles for the job at hand Wink

Last edited by Fost on Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Kythorak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of the old Classic;

Raptor: Call of the Shadows

That game rocked. Smile

Nice mechs, BTW.
icarus
Troll
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah that game was the best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Discussion Pod Forum Index -> Game Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: